Thursday, December 11, 2008

Speed Racer

I am a grandma driver and happy to admit it. I'm slow. I'm cautious. My husband is not. He likes to go fast, skiing, driving, whatever, he likes to go fast. This is why ME getting a speeding ticket is surprising. I got a speeding ticket for going 20 miles per hour over the speed limit dropping a friend off at the airport. I was MERGING officer, not SPEEDING. Okay, so I had to speed up to merge, but my husband says that is the American way. Can't blame me for that, can you?

The ticket says yes.

So, I had to go to court last night. Since the officer said I was going twenty over (Not true, but whatever.), I had to settle it in court. My set time was at 7:30pm. PM! Don't you find that weird? Still I thought, this is good, everyone that works near the capitol will be home, parking will be a breeze. I don't know what I was thinking. I for sure was not remembering that I have the worst luck. The Denver County building gets all decked out for Christmas. A whole light spectacular. This is nice. This is nice at any time except when you have to be in that building when it's dark out and a parking space is required. ALL the spots were blocked off for onlookers and venders selling multi colored beam saber things. Why you need a beam saber thing to check out the Christmas lights is beyond me. I found a spot blocks away, stepped through all the melted puddles of snow a person could, and made my way into the court room. I felt like a felon. My rights were read. I stood up in front of the judge and pleaded guilty. Guilty. Isn't that weird to say? Guilty. My fine stayed the same, but the points on my record were cut in half. Thanks kind sir.

As I walked out, I walked in front of the nativity scene and thought, play it off Holl, you're not here to be convicted of speeding, you are here to give you're shout out to Jesus. Happy Birthday Baby Jesus, don't speed twenty over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I freaking heart you. We will have to talk about this. John drives like a speed racer...me like you. Yet, my luck would be the one who gets pulled over. SIGH. Ok, I must go vote now...

Victoria said...

Sorry you had to drop me off!! Ha ha.