Monday, December 8, 2008

Don't Think- Ski AND Drink!


So I'm starting to get addicted to these Colorado mountains. We spent the weekend at Keystone and had a blast. Keystone at this point of my skiing hobby is tops. Yes, I know, I don't have much to compare it to, but man, was it BEAUTIFUL there! I am holding out for Beaver Creek, I hear they give you warm chocolate chip cookies at the top of the lift, HELLO! So, there I am, at Keystone, ready to ski down the first run of the weekend. I'm nervous. There are people around. I have some spiked cider in me, my new favorite drink, warm apple cider and rum...yum (Look, I rhyme!). I ski to the edge of the mountain overlooking a lake. It was gorgeous. The feeling of warm apple cider in my stomach is gorgeous too. I head down, I'm doing turns, I'm getting my skies parallel. I'm rockin that hill. I'm good, like, I'm REALLY good! I'm getting what I think are edges down, I'm not running into anyone. I'm going... fast! Geoff heads down the mountain in front of me to video tape my professional ski abilities. I ski past him. I'm DAMN good!

Into the lodge for a drink.

I talk about how awesome that run is and how it's my favorite so far. Someone says how it is a good one, like a super long bunny hill. Umm, don't tell me that, I thought I was good.

I have another drink. That was no bunny hill.

I go out again. Becky is with me this time. She tells me how good I'm doing, how fast I'm going. I am good, I am fast.

We go again. I'm getting better, I'm getting FASTER. I love that run!

Back in the lodge, Geoff shows me the video of my awesome skiing. I have never seen such bad form or someone go sooo slow. And that is me thinking I'm great. I need another drink.


Day two...

Everyone went home Saturday night so it's just me, Geoff and Sawyer. I stay at the condo and watch Sawyer as Geoff skies and then we switch off. I'm going up the gondola. I'm excited for my turn. I decide to start off with the run I've already done three times. This place is huge and I stick with the same ol' thing. Shut up ok?! I'm going down. It looks REALLY steep. I can't turn. I practice my pole plants and fall. Several times I fall. I only fell once yesterday. I fall again. I can't turn. I think I made a WRONG turn. This isn't the super long bunny hill, this stuff is WAY more difficult. I fall, I feel my knee twist. Awesome. I'm sober. I ski. I'm horrible. I need more lessons. I KNOW I took a wrong turn. I'm really slow, I feel self conscience. I'm back at the lift. It WAS the same run. My knee is swollen. This is my first time skiing without a drinky drinky in my system.

Moral? Ski minus drinks equals injury.

My grandma always told me to learn from other people's mistakes so you don't have to make that mistake yourself.

Always drink before you ski. You're welcome.

No comments: