Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year and Other Fine Things

It's the last day of 2008. This year started out the slowest in history. Counting it by the weeks, WEEKS I say! That's what happens when you are pregnant, not comfortable and would kill for a decent nights sleep. Halfway through that year, June first, that slow as molasses year started it's lightning speed journey. I feel like it was June 1st yesterday. That day in June is the day I had Sawyer. A totally amazing, tiring, painful, beautiful, slimy, gross, uncomfortable, miraculous day. Life has not and will never be the same. This little guy in my life is absolutely amazing and I only wish that everyone could experience the joys I experience with my new family.

Other things happened in 2008. I finally started to like Denver. It took a while, but Denver is home to me. Home. It feels good and I am happy to be here. It feels good not to live out of a black carry on suit case. I'm also happy that in this cold weather I can go skiing or hang by the fire with my spiked cider. This year I skied for the first time in a long time and have this illusion that I'm going to be really good by the end of the season, because you know, I saw people on TV doing cool stuff and I figure I can too. Like, back flips off of jumps. You watch!

Every day this year I am constantly reminded how amazing my friends are. I have the best friends ever. My friends are probably better than your friends, unless you are my friend reading this right now, in that case, I talk about how amazing you are ALL THE TIME! Most of my family is absolutely psychotic and my friends have always taken over the role most of my family member have failed in. I am sooo thankful for that! Every day I am thankful for them. You choose your friends. They don't have to be nice to me, they don't have to spoil me, they don't have to plan baby showers for me, but they do. I'm also super thankful for the family I married into. Goeff's family is fantastic, thanks for accepting me as Geoff's wifey!

We have had the chance to travel a lot this year. Maybe it's not a lot compared to how much I traveled as a flight attendant, but we got around. I went to California twice while I was pregnant. Once to help take care of my grandma (I miss you!!!) and another to help my aunt with some things and have my baby shower! Sawyer came into this world and got to spend a week in New York celebrating his great grandma's 100th Birthday! We spent a week in Turks and Caicos where Geoff got to meet even more of my friends, yup, some more really awesome friends I talk about all the time. We also got to scuba dive, walk the white beaches and relax at the Conch Shack. A few days ago we got back from California where we ate Sushi with Janice at Nobu, dinner with Kim and her parents surrounded by more friends, and spending Christmas with Aunt Jackie and Uncle Laurent relaxing and sipping Port. Yum Yum!


Other things I did and or learned this year...

I went to my first Hockey Game, go Colorado! I threw an awesome party for my husbands Birthday and plan to make it an annual shindig. I realized it doesn't matter how athletic you are, you can still suck at kickball. I learned that if you are going to make fun of someone, don't do it right before you slip on liquid soap from a broken soap dispenser at TJ Max and can't get back up. I learned not to dress as Amy Winehouse for a party before you lose your pregnancy weight. I learned not to get wasted from 2 glasses of wine (Low tolerance these days!) the night before an 8 hour aerobic workshop.


More than anything though, I'm so thankful I am in the spot in life I am right now. Life isn't perfect, at all, but it's what you make of it. I'm really happy at this point! My husband is the most amazing man on this planet. I stand firm on that statement. Sawyer is super adorable and amazingly sweet. He is going to make a mark on this world! My friends rock but I already told you that. I have my health and so do those closest to me. I couldn't ask for anything more... except maybe a hair cut... I need a hair cut pretty bad right now.

Thank you everyone who has made this year a memorable one! It's almost 2009, lets drink!

1 comment:

fallgirly said...

Happy New Year beautiful friend! I hope motherhood is as good on me as it is on you!