Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sick Plate

I dedicate this to my ex-boyfriend.  Thank GOD we are not together.

Everyone who knows even a little of me knows I worked in Club Med.  I taught aerobics for a few seasons in Turks in Caicos and had the time of my life!  (A little more on that here.)  While there I dated this guy, my first boyfriend (Yeah, I'm a little behind on the dating stuff.) who was also my last boyfriend until I met my amazing husband.  Lets just say, boyfriend one was not the sharpest tool in the shed.  Here is a story my husband actually likes to hear about the ex... 

Every night at the village we had to put together a show.  The G.O.'s (Those who worked there.) were the stars of the show every night but once a week, when we had to put together the G.M. show.  The G.M. (The guest.) would learn a dance of some sort, via us, and perform on stage to their families, drunk friends, chicks they hooked up with, whatever and whoever was out in there watching.  This night was G.M. show night and my boyfriend and I were each in charge of a group for the show.  I wasn't feeling very good that day and wanted to basically call in sick for the night.   I was exhausted from teaching five aerobic classes that day, coming down with a cold,  and in general feeling really crappy.  When you call off a night, is isn't just the show you are calling off, it's the pre-show, the post show, the dancing, the partying, the dinner festivities.  Every night is a party and party that night is NOT what I wanted to do.  

Being in a relationship in that village was looked down upon.  They wanted all of us to be free, single, fun.  On more than one occasion the chief (the boss) would try to end relationships.  Put a little bird in someone's ear that being in a relationship was no, noooo good.   So, if you are in a relationship, you play by the rules.  You are out and about, you are hanging out with the guests,  you are living it up, and you keep your relationship somewhat secretive, especially from the guests who always wanted to know your business.  It's pretty suffice to say, both parties of a couple calling in sick the same night would not work out.  

Feeling crappy, I walked into my boyfriends room to tell him I was going to call in sick for the night.  I wasn't feeling good and I didn't want to play.   He was in his bed napping, looked up and said, "I already did, I'm just really tired."  Tired?  Just tired?!  I actually don't feel good here, like I'm TIRED AND SICK!  You are just tired and already called in sick so now I can't!  I was a little upset.  When you are on your last leg of energy expecting some downtime and that downtime gets pulled from you, like a carpet under your feet, you get a little pissed.  

"Fine, I'll go out, and be in the show and try to make it an early night, meanwhile, I'm hungry, I'm going to get something to eat."  I say, getting ready to leave his room.

"Oooh, will you get me something to eat too?"  He asks.  

I think it's asking a lot since I'm already annoyed, but fine.  "Okay, what do you want?"

"Ummm, I don't know, will you just bring back a sick plate?"  

I perk up wondering what these 'sick plates' are.  "And that is...?"

"You know, like the stuff they prepare in advance and have out for people to take if they want to eat in their room and not in the restaurant."

"Huh?  Like a bagged lunch, I've never seen that here."  I've been at this village for a while, been to that restaurant at least three times a day, EVERY DAY, how could I have missed these 'sick  plates'?

"No, you know, the plates they have prepared at the entrance, right on your left hand side, with all sorts of yummy looking food."

Is he talking about what I think he is talking about? Has he NOT been to a restaurant before in his life.  "The display plate?  That food is PLASTIC!"  

"No, the sick plate."  He says.  

Needless to say, I didn't pick him up any food that night.


1 comment:

Becky HIll said...

Too Funny! Its a good thing you found Geoff.