Monday, February 23, 2009

Pruning

There many types of people in this world. When it comes to my topic today, I'll say, there are TWO types of people in this world. The type that can let go of a friend or a relationship easily and the type that can not.

It doesn't take much for me to drop you right out of my life. Drop you like you were never there in the first place. I always say how great and amazing my friends are, and it's true. My friends ROCK THIS WORLD! They are great. Geoff is meeting more and more of my friends and he is even blown away by their awesomeness. Achieving such a great circle of friends is a process. I get along with almost everyone, I like most people but have always been really intuitive towards people I meet. Yes, I judge and have ALWAYS been right! Ask my friend Victoria, she'll tell you! She hates it too! It's my downfall, I'm almost always right. I say almost, because another prediction I have for a couple hasn't happened yet. It will though, mark my words. Anyway, point is, if I feel someone isn't honest, has low morals, or anything along those lines, I'm can't warm up to them, I try and find the good, I try and like them, but if I can't kick my first intuition of that person, it's all over. EVERY time I have felt this way, months or even a few years down the line, my prediction always proves correct. I wish it didn't, but it never fails me. AND, when that person does do something I morally disagree with, I cut them right out of my life. Snip. Gone. Not even sad about it.

I thought this was weird and noticed not many people can just cut others out of their life and wipe their hands clean until a friend pointed out my past. My family wasn't the family I needed and my friends filled that role. Minus Geoff, his family and a few other people, my friends still fill a large part of the family role and always will. Because of this, I had no time to be upset if someone treated me poorly, I didn't stick around a friend who wasn't worth it. I just pruned the friend tree and moved on. Easy. Simple. Cut. Snip. Have a good life.

I also thinks this has a lot to do with my 'masculine form of communication'. I'm not that person who talks for thirty minutes about a problem just to be heard. I want to hear solutions. Ways to fix it. I also can not listen to you without offering solutions and ways to fix some sort of problem you presented. I don't understand having a problem and just being heard. Fix it and move on. Makes so much more sense. I think I approach my friends in the same way, you don't live up to your expectations of a friend, I fix it and move on.

Not to say I don't work out the bumps, or run from my problems. I will confront you, talk about where we stand on topics, tell you why I'm pissed. If I don't see a solution or find we have a MORAL disagreement, I'm out. Snip.

My husband does not feel this way. He cherishes the people in his life and holds on tight. He loves his friends and continues to call them close even if they treat him like crap. I just don't think he sees their behavior as unacceptable, or doesn't hold his friends to the high standard I hold mine. Today however, he saw things I've always seen. Funny thing is, I didn't have to do a damn thing to show him the view. Today, his friend tree got some much needed pruning. I'm so proud of him.

Cut.

Snip.

Music to my ears.

4 comments:

Matt said...

'masculine form of communication'

I love that.

short and to the point. You hit the nail on the heard there.

fallgirly said...

Yay for pruning the friend tree!! Is it the "friend" you were telling me about?

Juliana said...

Pruning the tree HAHAHAHA. This is a great blog. I will email you back when I have more time in the next few days. I miss you dearly as well. I am more Geoff, but I need to be more like you and I am working on that. Geoff..remember that the only people that are worth being in your life are the ones worthy enough to have you in theirs..

Blog Stalker said...

Pruning is a new term that I will definitely adopt when it comes to friends. I too had some toxic family relationships and maybe that is why it is easy for me to walk away from toxic people.

Mostly I just tend to not really gravitate to "need" people. I prefer friends who enjoy being around each other but can not see each other for long periods of time without abandonment issues.

Great post, and Have a great day!