Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Everyone is Talking about that DAMN HORSE!

I hate it. For the record I hate it. Did I mention I hate it? Just making sure.



So, if you aren't a Denverite, or haven't been here in a while, some clown decided that a huge sculpture of a bright blue horse with evil red glowing eyes, and balls larger than most apartments would be the perfect welcome statue at the Denver International Airport. If you have not seen it, you aren't missing a thing, except perhaps, some vomit in the back of your throat and a few nightmares. This thing is U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi and now I know, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I remember when I first saw this thing. I strained my neck to get a good look and said, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW?!?!" I remember that. I remember those words exactly. Later that day in the airport, I mentioned it to anyone who would listen. Not too many people knew what I was talking about and if they happen to see the thing, they didn't feel too strongly in one way or the other. I'm not shy about my opinions and very seldom feel on the fence about something. How could these people NOT see how ugly this was and where were all the angry people picketing around it? You all come out picketing for everything else, why not this?

Fist of all, who paid for this? Did I pay for this in my state taxes? Did you? Did you pay for this nasty blue horse? At Rocky Mountain News, Daniel Chacon states, "City of Denver commissions the sculpture for $300,000 with a 1996 delivery date... the city took possession of the sculpture in mid-October [2007]. The piece took a detour to California for repairs and safety upgrades. A budget of $350,000 was approved to rehab the sculpture, ship it, install it and dedicate it." So, am I wrong, or is that a total of $650,000?! I can buy some crap with that kind of money and I can guarantee you it won't be a nasty blue horse.

A few days later, I learned before the horse made it's trot into Colorado, the torso fell on top of the sculptor and killed him. Great, so a life is now NOT due to this carnival ride gone wrong looking statue? I feel whoever was in charge of actually approving the, uh, artwork as some call it, saw how ugly it was and was about to pull the plug until someone died. It's all fun and games until a horse torso crushes the life out of you, right? That's what I always say.

A year and a half later I'm not the only one complaining. Denver Post, Mile High Mamas, Fox News (Yeah, I said it.) and more are all talking about this well-hung, shiny blue pony. All I'm saying is, my husband has a pretty muscled out jeep. If we get enough together, I'm talkin jeeps, hummers, tanks, wrecking balls, whatever you got, bring it, and I think we can bring this thing down together. As Denverites. Who's in? I'll even supply the beer.


UPDATE: My husband just shared this site with me. LOL

8 comments:

fallgirly said...

Dear God Holly, that is so effing ugly! What a way to welcome you to a city!!

Matt said...

That horse is the devil. It freaks me out everytime I go to the airport.

Becky HIll said...

I like him!

Juliana said...

Haha...one day John called me and he was scared. Scared of the horse with the freaking red eyes in the night. I thought he was smoking crack. He wasn't...I saw it with my own eyes. I actually saw it again yesterday and started plotting how to kill it, knock it over...

Then the news had a report about the facebook site that Geoff mentioned. I think we need to ban together here people....

April Graves said...

Haha! That is too weird! I am sending this link to my friend in Denver! That is a waste of money in my book!

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted said...

That's alot of money for a horse! Geeze.

Bobby, Jenny, Bryce and Leah said...

ummmm...i don't like it at all but at least it is entertaining all of us!

Bobby, Jenny, Bryce and Leah said...

eeewww! that thing is sick!