Tuesday, November 11, 2008

To my FIVE month old!

Dear Sawyer,

I can get lost going anywhere! I can get lost going around the block! I’m best at getting lost going places I have been to about a hundred times before. I think I get too cocky about knowing where I am going; you think I would have learned already. Today I promised you that you would get to play with other babies. Mommy had her first playgroup date with the Moms club she joined, and guess what, I got lost. I promise you this address does not exist. I drove around for 40 minutes and, of course, forgot my phone at home so I couldn’t call anyone. What have we learned here? Mommy can’t keep her promises, especially if it involves me getting you somewhere. Deal with it kid.

Photobucket

What has gone on this month now that you are five months old?! Not too much since last month. I worked really hard on getting you on a sleep schedule. Really hard! It was no walk in the park. Since about three months old, I knew I had to wean you from falling asleep in my arms and transferring you into the crib. I knew soon you would have to soothe yourself and that you are old enough to do so. I feel like being a parent is constantly walking a fine line. It’s a line between wanting to keep you my baby forever and cuddle you and cradle you and have you forever be my newborn Sawyer or step onto the other side of the line where you are growing up and learning and becoming more independent every day. It’s so amazing to see you grow and mature and learn what life is all about, but that leaning is a letting go process on my (and Geoff’s) behalf. Without letting go, you can’t learn to your full potential. Teaching you to go to bed on your own is just another way I have to let go. You protested a bit (AKA- cried) and tested us to see if you would be the boss or if we were still in charge, and we had to stay strong. Daddy didn’t understand why it was so easy to put you to bed before and all of a sudden it becomes a chore. Well, simple, before we were tricking you into bed. We put you to bed sleeping and you just woke up there. Now, we are teaching you what bedtime is, what winding down is, what your schedule is and at this point I can now say you are pretty awesome at it. Once the routine starts, you know it’s about that time. There are a few times I think you might cry when I walk away because when I am there, reading to you, turning on your bedtime music or kissing you goodnight you are fussing, but when I’m am done, you lay there for a few minutes and then pass out. What a big boy. You wake up an average of once a night now and it’s during that time that I forget what all the books say, what all the websites say, what all the experts say and I cuddle you like the baby I brought you home from the hospital. It doesn’t matter how tired I am when I first wake, when I have you in my arms I feel like the luckiest person on the planet. I love those times!

You are also eating now. Due to a carrot mishap, Daddy bought me a baby food maker and we are making all your baby food; organic, freshly made baby food. You are treated like a king sometimes! You don’t seem to care as much about the new food though as I do. I am sooo excited every time I get to see your face with a new taste, but all the faces are the same, it’s a GIVE ME MORE FOOD AND GIVE IT TO ME NOW kind of face. Real nice Sawyer.

Other things…

We have a new president and history was made. Barrack Obama is now President of the United States of America and now all these babies are being named Barrack. This year, this presidential election is the reason there are a bunch of Barracks in your kindergarten class, haha. Now mommy can say she saw IN PERSON, the president of the United States…working out on one of the wimpiest machines in the gym. I should have challenged him to a cycling class.

In one week we will be on vacation! You are five months old and have a passport! Can you believe it?! We are all spending six nights in Turks and Caicos. I used to live there and can’t wait to show daddy one of the places I consider home. I love it there and now get to spend time in one of my favorite places with my all time favorite people, you and daddy. Too bad you are too young to drink because the resort we are going to makes some pretty wicked margaritas.

You spent opening day at A-Basin with Mommy and Daddy. That was really important to him. He is a big time skier. I hear he is AMAZING. I CAN’T wait to ski with him. I grew up skiing but have not done it in years. I’m pretty sure I am going to sneak up to the resort and get some lessons in before I go with Daddy. I am insanely in love with your father and always want to impress him. I want to impress him with my skiing skills and am in no shape to do that now. We have to be sneaky!

That is about all I have for you. I know this is a boring one, but whose fault is that?! I challenge you to do something before next month. Crawl? Roll over more? Roll over at all because you have seemed to forget how to do that. Change the oil in the car? Make daddy and me dinner for a change?! Come on, you are made from the insides of two smart, beautiful, amazing people, I know you got more in ya!



I love your guts to outer space and back! Happy five months!

Mommy

No comments: