Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sing It!

My husband likes techno, I do not. The beat sounds the same, it echos in my ears and pounds on my chest, the glow sticks scare me, especially when those little dancers put them on strings and swing them around. ( It's like, uhhh, you know the glow stick swinging operators had drinks and possibly some other substances and now they are swinging around glowing chemicals in plastic tied to a sting... that is a WEAPON if you ask me!!!) The weird hand movements in other peoples faces, the dress up in weird outfits; the whole culture in general is just not one I ever got into or even experimented with. But like I said, my husband likes techno, he likes it a lot. Date night last night and we went to some club to meet up with some friends in town where the DJ who is friends with my friend (Sorry for all the friend's friend's friend stuff! ) played some bump-bump, techno stuff. I soon got pulled into the DJ booth with her and another friend, I was sooo out of my element. I danced like a girl in a body cast would... awkwardly. I tried to be cool but realize I am not. More importantly, I realized just another reason and possibly, one of the stronger reasons I don't like that techno remixed stuff. When I sing to the words to a song and the DJ decides to 'mix it up' and I sing what comes next, but there isn't a next, just the last word played over and over again 80 times leaving me there without my facade, revealing to myself and others that no, it wass not me that was responsible for the vocals. That I did NOT sing that song. That I am NOT the lead vocalist in that band. I have worked too hard memorizing songs and choreographing dance routines on my runs to have my fantasy world shot down by MY song remixed by a DJ. So, you won't see my 'performances' at any club any time soon, but I will be featured on the Cherry Creek Running Path... yes, that is me running and singing and dancing, and yes, I'm pretty good.

No comments: