Thursday, November 6, 2008

Easy Steamy

Mamma got a present, and NOT because I deserve one! I actually got it due to my lack of basic cooking skills. Yes, LACK of. That makes me a little sad to say. I feel like I worked hard to teach myself how to cook some decent meals. I can follow a recipe, I can make up my own and it usually comes out pretty good… or so I thought.

Food

Confession: I burned steamed carrots. Isn’t it obvious that water becomes steam and the longer you steam, the more likely it will be that you need to STOP steaming, or ADD more water?! I know this, I DO know this. I know this when I think about it logically, but that was the problem, I wasn’t thinking logically. That, or just got too distracted. I get distracted very easily. One of my nicknames was Goldfish due to my lack of concentration, and ability to be distracted by just about anything, especially if it’s shiny or sparkly. Did I get distracted? I don’t remember! (Let’s not even talk about memory!) Point is, burnt carrots smell BAD and boy did I burn them! I smoked them and smoked carrots don’t make good baby food.

About two weeks ago, I decided it was time to feed you solids. Solids is by no means solid. In fact, it is the complete opposite of solid. No joke, a baby’s first solid should be of liquid consistency. Is liquid a solid?! No it is not! Maybe if information wasn’t so misleading, my mind wouldn’t have been so full of baby translations and I wouldn’t have burnt the carrots, but whatever.

So, I wanted to wait until you were about six months old before I started you on “solids” but I think at five months old you were more than ready. You bring everything to your mouth, especially beer bottles. We went out to dinner and all the adults enjoyed a beverage. You sat on my lap and fussed reaching for my beer. Once it was in your hands you opened your mouth and lowered the bottle until you mouth was at the opening and tried to tip it up so you could drink some! You were upset when we wouldn’t let you have a drink. Relax kid, your five months, not 21years and five months. You also started to get up a lot at night. Every 2 ½ hours to be exact just to eat. You were starving. Milk was no longer doing it. I was pretty sure you were ready for food and 100% sure I couldn’t wake up every 2 ½ hours for a month straight.

We started you on rice cereal and you loved it. You wanted more, you thought I wasn’t doing a good enough job of shoveling into your mouth and took it upon yourself to grab the spoon and rush it into your wide open mouth. You got it all over you, you held the mush in your hands and squished it through your fingers. I was all about it! See the food, smell the food, experience the texture of your food. Daddy came over and wiped your face. See, sometimes mom is the fun one! Anyway, you formed a rash. A rash on your face, your trunk around your eyes. I thought it was an intolerant reaction to the cereal. Aunt Jackie says that a reaction to cereal in the form of a rash is rare and most likely caused by some virus. Mommy and daddy did have a cold recently, but I still thought the safe bet was to stop the cereal. The rash stopped and I decided to move you on to better more tasty foods… carrots.

I decided to make you the carrots myself…

Home made baby food…

Steamed carrots are easy enough right?

Obviously that is where I went wrong. When Daddy mentioned something was burning, I was so sure it was something on the stove that we didn’t fully wipe off from dinner. I let the carrots cook longer. They were thick! It must take like 25 minutes right? Needless to say, we were left with a completely black pan, smoked carrots and a smell so bad that it took over 24 hours of airing out the house to get the smell out. Mommy’s new present??? A baby food maker, an obviously needed baby food maker and I love it!

And what present did you give us in return? I’ll leave you with an e-mail I sent to Daddy yesterday,


OMGOMGOMG!!!!

If I could send smells through the internet, I would send you Sawyers last diaper. SO, no need for prunes. Guess the carrots took their sweet time out and BOY did they come out! Holy Crap, I wish you saw this! I picked up Sawyer to see poop spewing out of his diaper and onto my hand. My first thought: Yay, poop! Babe, this was the most wretched smell yet and there was sooo much! It basically looked likeI spooned a cup of carrot puree into the diaper and added a drop or two of brown coloring.

Oh man it was bad! What a big boy!

No comments: