Saturday, November 8, 2008

And then a Hero comes along...

I am annoyed at my husband’s friend and his wife. I wouldn’t be getting into this at all except for the fact that I saw them last night and couldn’t be mean. I mean, I wanted to because I have the maturity level of a second grader, but I couldn’t do it! What is wrong with me? Where did Holly go?

I probably have no business being annoyed, but I am, so there. Long story short, (Haha, I always say that and it’s never a shortened story, consider yourself warned.) this guy went to college with my husband, moved to Colorado together, I think they were even roommates for a while. My husband considered this guy one of his best friends until recently and rightly so. They have known each other for a long time, have very similar interests but this guy NEVER makes any effort to hang with Geoff. This couple lives about 20 minutes away and never bother to visit, EVER. They will not come to a birthday party, Christmas party, or any sort of event here because quite frankly, they never leave the vicinity of their neighborhood. WE always invite them to all sorts of things and will drive up to where they live just to have lunch. I mean, hello, a friendship is like sex, reciprocate! All of that is certainly going to get old, but the nail in the coffin was after we had Sawyer.

Geoff always wanted to be a daddy and couldn’t more elated when I told him I was pregnant. His friends know this. Sawyer was born five months ago and they did not come visit once. Not once! As annoyed as I am with them, if this chick pushed out a baby tomorrow, I would be there with gift in hand just to say Congrats. (That is why I am the bigger person here, right?!) A baby is a big deal, a life changing thing, an amazing experience and when our Russian neighbor lady who wears too much perfume can make an effort to come visit and say congrats, if my friends can fly half way across the country to say congrats, I think one of Geoff’s “best friends” can drive twenty minutes out of their way to say congratulations as well. BUT, they never did, ever. I know Geoff is hurt by the situation and because he is the man and not suppose to be hurt by anything, I stepped up as his wife and am pissed on his behalf. That’s right, I stepped up to the plate like a hero, pretty much I am a hero. Just call me hero. Pretty, beautiful hero.

I guess I wonder though if I have the right to be? This wife thing is new to me, I’m insanely protective of my family and if you hurt any of them, I will hate you, be sarcastic to your face, and call you ugly head to all my friends... well, that is what the second grader inside me wants to do, BUT, I couldn’t do it last night. I couldn’t do it. That is no hero in my books! I have another chance tonight and since my husband and I already worked it out that I got to drink some wine last night and he drove, that means, he gets to enjoy some beverages tonight and I drive home, which is just a wordy equation equaling out to me not saying anything ever. Maybe it is my place to be mad, but not ruin a friendship. Maybe I’m growing up. Maybe my Maturity level is at third grade now, which was one of my favorite grades anyway, but MAYBE you guys can help come up with something witty to say before I head off to this thing. Maybe I can get my mean back. Maybe I can flunk a maturity level. Maybe.

1 comment:

fallgirly said...

That's tough!! I completely understand you being upset, I would be too. Maybe just ask them again to come over, talk about how big Sawyer is and how you can't believe they haven't seen him yet. Make it innocent but still put it out there!