Monday, March 16, 2009

Things that Prance

Lately it's becoming pretty apparent I'm from L.A. and always lived in a city. The only city I didn't live in was an island, and there wasn't much animal life above the water. Don't get me wrong, I always loved to camp and hike and be outdoors, even in L.A. you can get to some beautiful outdoor spots, I'm just not used to animals in your yard.

Lately we have been spending weekends at our friend's house in Conifer Colorado. For those of you that do not know that area, Conifer is very mountainy and wild lifey and other eeyyy things you can think of, like tree-yyyy. Get it? It's so mountainy, that there is no cell phone reception, long before you get to their driveway. Friday we drove up to house sit for the weekend and on the way up their super long, dirt road, driveway, we see these...





My first thought: Are they serious?! Who under 60 puts up fake plastic animals in their yard anymore??? That isn't like the Beves' (That is what we call this family)! I'm going to have to tell them this isn't okay!

My second thought: OMG, deer, they are real!!!!! WHERE'S THE CAMERA???????

My third thought: Don't tell anyone about your first thought! I need to get out more!

Of course we pulled Sawyer out of his car seat to see the crazy wildlife going on around us. It was like we were on a safari, I was so excited! Then of course I asked Geoff a bunch of questions about the animals in front of us.

I guess they are some sort of... like, umm, dog deer, or bear deer, or something deer, and they shed their antlers and some other stuff Geoff said. I just thought deer were deer.

The best thing though was they prance! They totally pranced. Like, they walked like normal animals, but when they wanted to go faster, they just pranced out of there! I loved it!

It all got me thinking.

I want a miniature pony.

We live downtown and are trying to rent our place here and buy a place in the mountains. Let me tell you, house hunting is exhausting. Geoff and I like totally opposite things which does not make the process easier. Now I'm on his side a little more than before, I want land too. I want things in my yard. I want to hike and camp and play hide and seek and ride on the back of a bear and I want a miniature pony. I don't think I can handle the real thing, like big horses that poop, but a miniature pony might be just what I need. I want to build it stables on our property. Miniature stables of course. Mini-stables that look like a castle and paint it in pastel colors. I want to make my pony a saddle and put pocket things on it's saddle like drink holders for our cocktails. You don't expect us to carry our cocktails all over our large property, do you?

I also want my pony to prance like the whatever deer. I like things that prance. I want my pony to prance in and out of his castle stables.

That is, unless he spills our cocktails.

3 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

Gotta love the mountains.

Fresh air. Wildlife. Greenery.

Ain't nothing like living on one, or if you can't, the next best thing is living next to a small mountain.

Nice pics.

Matt said...

I live in thornton...

all I ever see is rabbits, foxes and occasionally a coyote.

which is awesome... but have you heard about all the coyotes they have been catching in Broomfield. They are getting out of control!

Becky HIll said...

Miniature ponys poop too!