Thursday, March 19, 2009

Blogs I'm reading: Photography and Hemorrhoids but NOT Photography of Hemorrhoids!

I'm really starting to appreciate photography. I think photographers who can take a subject and create beautiful, artsy imagines are just freakin' talented. Maybe it's that I always wanted to be talented at stuff but never got there. Now that I'm old and know that my athletic skills will produce any fame, maybe other things will, like bad singing or drunk dance renditions of all musicals. I sense someone will notice my talent, errr, creativity and throw me a bone. Perhaps I should take up a talent that even old people can be successful at, maybe knitting, basket weaving, or wheelchair wheelies, because hell, we all know, I'm not getting any younger.

These days, I admire talents I think I could possibly do if I put my brain to it, like photography. One blog I love to read is Pacing the Panic Room. The blog is written by a photographer step dad and also a husband to a beautiful, now pregnant wife. Reading his posts and looking at his really awesome pictures remind me of my one and only photoshoot. When I was pregnant, I wanted to surprise my husband with some really cool maternity pictures. I didn't want the average, fingers in a heart shape over my belly pictures. I wanted something unique, pretty, artistic, just down right cool. I looked through at least a hundred portfolios and fell in love with the work of James Hickey. Here are a few of those pictures.





I absolutely love them. They remind me of so many things. They remind me of all the joys, worries, hardships, sleepless nights, and excited anticipation of being pregnant. They remind me of my friends who were with me and endured the freezing cold pool along side my pregnant, sinkable self to get the shots just right. They remind me of my grandma/best friend who died a few weeks prior. They remind me of the raw circle of life, the one circle I love most of the time and am not a fan of at other times. Life is beautiful and should not be taken for granted and pictures are just one way to look back and re-live some of those memories.

Because I feel like promoting other people today, (See how un-selfish I am?) if you are a mom, or not afraid of the word 'hemorrhoid' check out mothergoosemouse and her post about the lovely balls of pain between those cheeks. Life; isn't it beautiful? Muah-ha-ha

5 comments:

Maggie May said...

your pictures are so beautiful. so lovely, magical, etheral- wow!

fallgirly said...

In the OC it seems like everyone is trying to be photographers, really it's almost like the trendy thing to do!! I mean if you have the expensive camera, take a class on the software to edie. Voila you are a photographer. I think you should write instead!! Ooh and I love your pics, I tossed around the idea, but feel too ugly to actually take them.

Juliana said...

I remember when you had them done and how excited you were and I LOVED them. It just makes me cold to think about though. I heart photography too! You should join us with the ATWT's...every Thursday!

I am going to sign up on flickr soon too!

G. B. Miller said...

Nice pictures.

Too bad photography as we know it today is a lost art form.

The real photographer properly preps the shot so that they can do their very best with minimal waste.

The psuedo photogs just snap the photo and upload it to a computer for editing.

Jake Jacob said...

nice blog - i posted in on twitter for the world - do me a favor I am building a virutal world online about TCI. We lived there and go bck and forth and own land on middle - http://turks-caicosislands.cagora.com/overview/intro thanks,
Jake