Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Cloth Diaper Try-Outs: And I thought AIO was a type of gun.

I'm SWITCHING and I wish I did this sooner but really I didn't even receive the diapers yet so who am I fooling? I have a fantasy world in my head and everything is going smoothly. We are all in cloth diapers riding ferris wheels eating cotton candy filled with fiber. Never head of fiber-filled cotton candy? Welcome to my dream land. Welcome.

I looked into cloth before I had Sawyer and read the cons of cloth and disposable are about the same: they both kinda suck the life out of our land (landfill versus water and electricity use) so I bought Pampers and called it a day.

Except I have to buy Pampers over and over and over again and after paying $80 for diapers that will be crapped in and graciously given to the trash peeps each Friday I decided in front of a Target cashier

I.

WAS.

DONE.

We go through easily about $100 each month on diapers and wipes. Ugh. I also hate when I'm on the last diaper and know I have to drive down to the store to purchase more when really I had other things planned.

Like read your blogs while eating dried mango. See, now you are on my side, EMARITE (Am I right? Don't worry grams, I got your back!)?

But seriously, since everyone is being all green lately, there are soooo many choices when it comes to cloth diapers and I was like WHAT?!?! I CAN'T MAKE A DECISION!

You know when a restaurant has too little options and you settle and it sucks but then another restaurant has WAY too many meal options and your meal still sucks because you alway wonder what if the other meal you were thinking about was better?!?! Cloth diapering is like that restaurant with way too many options!

And I had no idea what was going on. Let me tell you where I'm at now: a tiny more educated than before but no promises.

POCKET DIAPERS

There are pocket diapers. I thought this was pretty awesome because Sawyer LOVES to put things in his pockets. Cute little pockets on the side of his diapers? How fun!

But no! NOT pockets for you to put your hands when they are cold... or toys you are trying to hide from your sister. I learned pockets are in the CROTCH of the diaper and you stuff stuffing in there. Kind of like if you were on your period, that is where you would stuff your pad. Get it? With pockets you have to buy the diaper and the stuff to stuff in the pocket. I also just like to say stuff to stuff.


AIO

I seriously thought this was some type of rifle and it was printed on the cloth diaper page by accident. I thought, where the hell is the editor?! I was wrong. AIO means all in one.

From what I understand it is like a disposable except you reuse it. You don't put anything in pockets. You put the diaper on, you take it off, wash and repeat. Okay, I can handle this!


AI2

The new and updated rifle? NO! This means all in TWO. I still don't really get this one but hope to keep you guys updated soon. I think it means it's like an all in one but you have to snap in the padding stuff and can take it out and wash if they pee or poop without getting the shell dirty. Not sure how this is different than a shell and folding. I don't know about this one...

PREFOLDS

Okay I think this is where I got really confused. I thought a prefold was a type of diaper but really it's the STUFFING! It is what you would think of when thinking old school cloth diapers. I currently use prefolds as burp cloths and didn't know it. So you can fold this and pin or snap on the sides of your baby and use it as a diaper but will need to buy a pee proof cover. So this isn't really a system like I expected but the CLOTH STUFFING you can turn into a diaper and cover or fold it and use it as extra stuffing in another diaper.


And there is more but what I gather, I will need something to soak my babies pee up and something over the soaker to make sure the pee doesn't soak my cute outfit.

So I said, SELF, don't be all confused, just buy the first thing you see on one of your discount sites you are addicted to.

And I listened.


Image here.

My first GO at cloth diapers will be Cutey Baby cloth diapers. My biggest concern is people say this diaper runs big so I don't think it will even fit Charlotte though I bought the girl pack. The cloth diaper try-outs will start with Sawyer- contestant number one.

Sawyer, come on out in your pink diapers and wave, wave to the crowd... then pee, pee lots.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew the real effect of any of these options but I'll just enjoy being kid-less a little longer :)

Hope you have a great day!

-gillian. said...

Oh honey... you need to read this!

http://www.emerson-elaine.com/2010/12/two-year-old-cloth-diaper-stash.html

If you search her blog you can find other postings about cloth diapers, but this one is interesting because it will give you a sense of how they will hold up over time. She's tested a lot of them!

BTW... your blog cracks me up! :)

Furry Bottoms said...

You make me giggle!! I really don't know why clothe diapers are a craze though. You have to spend the money on buying soap and bleach and stuff to make it soft enough to be comfortable for the babe. And you have to deal with the poo and the pee more than once-- when you shake it off (is that what you do?) before you wash it. Right?

What the hell do I know... I would be frustrated with spending 100 a month on pampers too.

Let us know how it goes!

Anonymous said...

Mountain living and cloth diapering go hand in hand. In the summer you can dry em on the line super fast. No more drives down the hill just to get something to throw away!
To complicate things further.. I have a hook up for http://www.rumparooz.com/, I can get them for wholesale and they are sweet diapers that grow exponentially.

Unknown said...

Wow! Seriously had NO idea there were so many options! I understand why you just went with disposable and called it a day!

wonderchris said...

I'm dreaming of that cotton candy!! :D

Researching cloth diapers gives me a headache. I like the idea of the inserts - seems nice...except with a blowout, but that never seems nice, no matter what.

Melissa Baumann said...

Fiber filled cotton candy?! I'm in. I'm also in for fiber filled candy corn and protein rich caramel. So glad to hear you're going to go with cloth diapers. We're sharing our cloth diaper victories (and poopy horror stories) over on Cloth Diaper Blog. Come on over and share your diaper dreams. Thanks for the laugh!

Brandy@YDK said...

cloth diapers drive me nuts. I wanted to use them. I asked some people for advice. I even bought one! never used it. good luck

The Skinny Mom said...

My sister babysits for Audrey, and everytime she does, she calls me and says, "Ewwww! I am so glad that Henry wears regular diapers! James wears cloth diapers and they are soooo disgusting!" She is ALWAYS crying about it. Except the other day, when she called and said: "This has been a great day! James was out of cloth diapers, so he was wearing Pampers, THANK GOD!!" Hahahaha. Kinda funny to hear the babysitter's point of view.

Launa said...

G diapers are pretty cool too... the pee ones are compostable! However, they arn't any cheaper then disposables. Worth checking out though! No water usage, no landfill!

Stephanie said...

I am SOOOO glad I am past this stage. I really don't know what I would do. My girl were Pampers girls:)

Unknown said...

Congrats on going cloth! I just went for the one size pocket diapers and never looked back! I bought one stash that lasted me the entire time and I really did enjoy it! Good luck to you!

Jenny DB said...

Hmm. I'm sure glad I don't have to make these big decisions yet :-) I remember I was 12 when my little brother was born and I changed a lot of diapers. We had the cloth "burp rags" as you call them and we pinned them and put a cover on them.. that's about all I can remember. Oh, and scraping green newborn poo out of them and into the toilet. That was fun. Actually, the poop wasn't even gross until he started eating food besides breastmilk, then it really started to stink!

gnatalie said...

Thanks for stopping by & commenting my blog (gnatalie.com). I'm so sorry you tried Cutey Baby first, but glad you've found BumGenius too. They are my favorites, along with Fuzzi Bunz, Baby Kicks, Rumparooz, and Smartipants. I hope it's working out well for you. You're Sawyer is a cutie, and that's a great name :)