Monday, January 19, 2009

My Kid is so Damn Smart!

Sawyer sees me and Geoff on the computer often. Geoff works with computers so obviously he is on a lot, and I use it for the occasional e-mail, to blog and to generally just pass time as Sawyer is eating off the booby. Thing is, Sawyer thinks he has this whole computer thing down, mostly because of this game I found online. (http://www.fisher-price.com/us/playtime/games/infantGames_A_BS.asp) It's a cause and effect game where Sawyer pounds on the keys and fun, colorful things pop up that make cool noises each time. He loves it! After playing for a few minutes, I'll get on and try to check on something and Sawyer just looks at me like, Mom, what do you think you are doing? Obviously you don't know how to use this like I do. Stuff doesn't pop up when YOU are on it mommy, so just stop and handover this crazy toy. I have to peel him away from this game, it's pretty comical.

TODAY however was different. Yes, he looked at me wondering why the Hell I thought I was qualified to use this thing called the computer, but he also thought he would do some computer investigating of his own.

The understanding of object permanence is understanding that even though something is not in sight does not mean it escaped off the edge of the earth. I walk out of the room, he doesn't see me, but knows I'm still in the house. Today, he investigated object permanence of the internet. You see, he would press a button and some sort of cute, colorful animal would appear with a BING. He pressed another button and the animal disappears. Where does it go? If mommy doesn't leave planet earth when I don't have her in sight, then OBVIOUSLY the colorful, obnoxious bunny does not either, right?! The bunny would disappear and Sawyer would pull the computer screen toward him, turn the lap top around and look behind it. He looks at me perplexed, nope, not there. He closes the laptop and no bunny. He flips the laptop over and then back again, looking at me strangely. WHERE IS THAT DAMN BUNNY!?!!

This game is suppose to teach him cause and effect, I think it's also making him rethink this whole object permanence thing.

Well, you win some and lose some. Please stand by for a few weeks when you will read an angry blog stating Sawyer smashed my laptop trying to find all the animals. Where area all those cute dang animals?!?!?!

No comments: