Thursday, November 19, 2009

High E

I always said if I could get plastic surgery on one thing, it would be my vocal cords, so I could sing.

I also say my singing is a little too ahead of the time for people to appreciate NOW. It's okay, I'll be off the charts 500 years after death.

At a cookie party in college, my not so shy friend and I busted out 'Where are you Christmas?' from 'The Grinch who Stole Christmas' soundtrack. We were so bad, it was good (in a bad, screeching sort of way) and named ourselves, our voices, our talent: High E.

Years later, I'm still not voice shy, though I should be and at over one year, my son even knows this.

I guess he is just one and half so has not yet LEARNED how amazing my voice truly is.

Yesterday we were all dancing to Mamma Mia, and just like I would anywhere else, I was envisioning myself IN the musical and started singing.

Sawyer went from dancing with hands free, to hands over his ears doing whatever he could to block out my incredible voice to his impressionable, innocent ears.

And I swear, if any of you taught him that, High E will take over your ipod.

15 comments:

Matt said...

Is that a real surgery?

we need to go to a karoake bar, ASAP.

Anonymous said...

lol awww hahaha i love that song!

MEGandJEFF said...

hahahaha :) That is AWESOME!! I think we're in the same boat: love to sing, can't do it worth a darn :) Come to think of it..that's probably why I'm hooked on Glee..the singing!

Jenny said...

I could probably be an honorary member of your group, but add terrible stage fright, which means even screechier cracking voice. Imagine how much I'm looking forward to teaching my new Brownie girl scouts our troop songs. Yeah, it's going to be scary.

Furry Bottoms said...

Ah!! I'm sure 500 years from now, people will reocgnize you as one of the masterpieces of our time. Yeah.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I'll sometimes break out into song.

I have a terrible voice though.

Tracie said...

That is so funny. I can't sing well at all. Never stopped me though.

Maggie May said...

you are awesome.

life IS a musical!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you posted about this! It is way too funny.
Kids. Whatcha gonna do with 'em?!

NICKI said...

haha, My cousin and I once ROCKED the HOUSE with our awesome rendition of Sinatra's New York New York. After that, the karaoke crowd awoke, thinking, "well, at least I can do better than that!" Please consider us as your opening band for your world tour 2025. We promise we will make you look good.

Martinis or Diaper Genies? said...

I love to sing and spend my life wishing others would discover me. It's a curse either way.

bodoba said...

As wife to husband who can successfully sing opera music, I can understand the desire to belt out tunes when sounding like an untuned piano. Props for the commitment!

Unknown said...

I'm with you. Growing up, I was friends with the most amazing singer who starred in all the school plays. One Sunday, we were singing in church and I kept one-upping her and singing louder and louder.

She finally told me to stop. I asked her why--she was singing as loudly as moi. Her response?

"Yeah, but I SOUND good."

Unknown said...

You guys are funny, thanks for being so supportive of my screeching voice, I knew there were people out there who would appreciate it! :)

Nicki- You are IN the show!

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

my daughter does the same thing. she will listen to my warbling for only so long and then earmuffs herself. darn kids