Monday, November 9, 2009

Craft Whore in Progress

In my effort to be the worlds greatest Craft Whore, I went to Michaels in search for ingredients to make a stocking. I have been to this store a few times, once I walked out nervous knowing I was WAY over my head. Next time I sat in the isle reading a book repeating 'I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.' and the last time, I went back for more paper. Eventually I was left with homemade invitations for Sawyer's birthday party that looked... like, uh, I made them?

So, I went back cause I'm street like that and I can handle my own AND left in fear yet again. How does this store do it, it's so damn intimidating?! There are all these ladies in there that walk around with mini carts full of things I've never head of or seen and they have vision. THEY HAVE VISION. The see stuff. I think it's almost like psychic math, something plus this plus sparkles plus other things will equal A NEW CAR! I mean, how do they do it? HOW DO YOU DO IT?!?! I want to be crafty! I want to have a talent, maybe even have other people purchase my services, I want to be a craft whore too!

I'm just not. How hard is it to make a stocking? When I was little, I had the cutest stocking, it had my name on it, and all sorts of sequins, and it had a pocket with a removable Santa and all sorts of other Christmasy things. See, my brother didn't have a stocking like that, he had a, dare I say it, STORE BOUGHT ONE! I knew that because mine was homemade and his was store bought that my parents liked me better. It's just truth. I speak truth. My family is not incredibly talented, no one is craft whorish so this stocking had to be easy right?!?!

I saw no easy stocking recipe in sight. I figured they would have kits, you know like they have cookie dough in a tube if you suck at baking, why don't that have you suck at crafting, craft kits for people like me?!?! I want to fake it!!! After not seeing any kits and realizing that I didn't even own a needle and thread that I was indeed in the wrong place. People looked at me but no one asked if I needed help. I mean, even the people in J Crew ask if you need help and you don't really need help but there I was, lost and scared and alone and NO ONE OFFERED HELP!!!!

I walked out deflated, yet again. Michaels, you win but I'll be back, I'm a sore loser and I'll fight dirty.

10 comments:

Aurora Sisneros said...

Ah hahahahah! I LOVE this! Yeah dude, I am a craft machine, and that place scares the crap out of me too!

OK, first, I have to admit that the only stocking I ever made was a needlepoint one. It was hideous, but my mom still uses it, bless her heart. I have a pattern for a quilted one (soo cute), but that doesn't leave much room for decorating.

Start with a cheap blank one from Target. Then, go crazy with felt and make a santa or a snowflake, glue on some sequins (or sew them on - I have ALL that shiz), etc. Cut out felt letters and use a fabric glue stick - works AMAZING!

I like to get inspiration from the web. I'll email a few cute stockings that might get you started.

You whore!

Bobby, Jenny, Bryce and Leah said...

You can do it HOLLY!! You can cuz you want to! have fun with it! I love being crafty but am by no means a convention type. I suck at sewing too, actually I suck at a lot of crafty things but i improvise! Start with a vision and then make it the easiest way possible.

Buy fabric cut 2 pieces out in the shape of a stocking and put it together using saftey pins. Add bells on the pins as an embellishment (that's what we did to hem the mariachi costumes, saftey pins and bells, easy breezy)then use Sawyers cute little foot and hands and make that reindeer we talked about on the front. The paint will tickle his feet and then you made it together =)

Good luck!!!!! cant wait for you to post pictures of this stocking!

Tracie said...

In order for me to craft, I need specific instructions with pictures. Also, I need a list of all the materials required. To dream it up on my own? Not going to happen.

MEGandJEFF said...

Oh man..I'm craft-LESS!! And, I've kinda reached the point where I don't care...I'll never scrapbook, my house will never have handmade decor on the walls (I actually think that's a good thing:) & I will never sew clothing for my children. I know this! And it's ok..'cause I'll be a damn cool mom who plays in the mud & climbs trees, instead!

SweetPeaSurry said...

Ahhh you'll figure it all out girl. In the meantime, and while you're practicing ... may I suggest "seam tape"? It's like iron/sewing ... I use it fix hems. I also used it to create a cover for a completely used up footstool so that it looks pretty, and my doggies can use it to get up on the bed.

Brilliant stuff! You just iron the seam!

fallgirly said...

You are hilarious! I feel the same way!! Although I do go to Michaels because they have GREAT decorations for holidays that are cheap. That's it though. That's where my Michaels shopping ends. I too feel intimidated!

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

if you want to be a real craft whore, locate a hobby lobby. michael's and joann's tend to be overpriced and the selection is not as ample as i would like

just a thought

jessikahsd said...

I'm proud of you for going back. Michaels freaks me out too - I can never find what I need so I always end up running out without purchasing anything!

NICKI said...

I am a first time reader - Babe in Babeland has great taste! I need curtains, have no sense of decor, and no sewing machine. Please tackle this after you figure out the stocking thing. Much appreciated.

bodoba said...

wow, and I thought michaels was an alright store. HINT: Hobby Lobby and Joann's have craft classes, so you can find a "how to make stocking" class show up and follow along.

I can say that I'm definitely a craft whore but I've run out of a size that fits me so I'm very jealous on your ability to care for your body. I wish I was a body...whore. (that doesn't sound as cute as craft whore)