Sunday, July 26, 2009

Textation Nation

Last night I couldn't fall asleep. I was thinking about the evolution of language for some odd reason and the presence and absence of boundaries within our language. I don't know why I can't think of other things, like why the crew of Whale Wars act like they have no common sense, or if we will even live in a haunted house, or what age Sawyer will get a job and buy us lots of presents.

No, I was thinking about language. So, in honor of my sleepless state last night, thought I would re-post an oldie and get some more opinions.


The Text:

There is something that annoys me to no end and I have no grounds to be annoyed by what I feel is incorrect English. It is the past tense form of the word text: texted. Texted. TEXTED?! Really now? Yes. Really. It drives me crazy but from what I have read out there, the word 'texted' is not wrong, well, nor is it right, which leaves me, kerbobled (Urbandictionary.com meaning to be upset at something or someone, yo. I added the yo myself.). So, what is a girl to do?

My take on the whole thing...

Text: Thanks for the kind text message. Thanks for texting me that message. Will you text me your address? Will you send me your address in a text? I text you my phone number yesterday. I just sent you my phone number in a text.

Hmmm...

Let's look at the word 'beat'. I am going to beat you at Monopoly. You have me beat. I beat her at Boggle yesterday. Would you EVER say, I BEATED her at Boggle yesterday?! (AND, don't say no because you would never play Boggle, Boggle rocks and EVERYONE should play Boggle.)

What am I realizing? When people say 'text' they actually mean 'text message'. So, you aren't really texting anyone, you are messaging them. Is text a noun or a verb, or is it a noun that became a verb? Is it both? Adjective: text messaging. OR is text a verb in the legit urban dictionary I cited above? It's somewhat similar to the word 'test'.

Test: I am going to take a test tomorrow. I will be testing on that tomorrow. I am taking a test right now. I am testing right now. I took a test yesterday. I was tested on that yesterday. Tested. Tested, it works.

Test, both a noun and a verb and works with the 'ed.

I think the most correct way to verbalize the action of sending a text message is to use the word 'send' in it's present, past, and future forms as the verb. I will send you a text message. I am sending you a text message now. I sent you a text message yesterday. Ahhh, it's good music to my ears!

BUT, English is fluid, dynamic, ever-changing, always evolving and what once was against the rules of proper English can and will become correct if enough people use that exact phrase or word of incorrectness. Yes people, you have say in what Webster publishes!

If history repeats itself, people are not too prone to change and slang and laziness begin to take over. I know the word text will not stay a noun and never a verb, again. So, if we were to use the past form of text AS A VERB without us using 'text' or 'texted' or using 'send' as the verb, how do these options sound and look to you...


texed
tex'd
texd

Because I just can't bring myself to texted anyone.

11 comments:

Becky HIll said...

Guess what, language evolves all the time... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=texted

take that!

Furry Bottoms said...

Wow, never thought of that, although I do have times when the language strikes me dumb. I don't this is a sentence: "In the process of driving, she text him" I think the proper sentence should be "In the process of driving, she sent him a text" that sounds better.

Hit 40 said...

I like sexted best :-) It's definitely a verb with some action.

Maggie May said...

you are cracking me up

i texted this post :)

SweetPeaSurry said...

Girl ... you need to get yourself som Ambien! Jeez. I've texed people be'foh. Oh yah boy-o! I fo sho did!

Carry on ... I'm rambling,

blessings!

MEGandJEFF said...

SO, this morning I was gettin' dressed...puttin' on my bra..I mean cardboard boxes!! I thought of you..because it fit like crap!

Also, I can't believe you missed an athletic event involving adult-sized big-wheels..what kind of girl ARE you? :)

Those are deep thoughts on the text..my life has been forever changed!

Hope you have a fabulous day!

Babe in Babeland said...

Ha! Yes, I've thought about that as well, but I have just given in and used the word texted. I figure that if Shakespeare can make up words, so can we...language is always evolving, after all. BUT, I do think you're right...

Matt said...

rly srsly? its notevn TEXT ne more its txt.

4rls. lolz

Ann Imig said...

Reasons for Ambien...

AiringMyLaundry said...

I feel like I've been transported to my Honors English class. I sat next to a chick who got excited over comma placements.

I just learned how to send text messages by the way.

Unknown said...

You guys are so funny! Why are you all trying to drug me up?!?!