Sunday, July 5, 2009

Pulling a Geoff: Sailing Trip Part Deux




Before I go on, I must inform you of a term.

PULLING A GEOFF (verb)- when out, having fun, and most likely drinking, you disappear without saying goodnight, goodbye or anything at all and fall asleep in your bed.

(Used in a sentence) When Susie left the living room and was gone for over ten minutes, most of the family understood she was simply pulling a Geoff.

History: My husband falls asleep without a warning, he simply leaves the area without saying a word and can be found later sleeping peacefully in the bed hugging my pillow. The act is now known as 'pulling a Geoff'



Day three I anticipated being pretty hungover, having a raging headache and drinking over a three cups of coffee. To my surprise, I was up early, cooking breakfast for the rest of the hungover crew and enjoying my son's smiles and ocean curiosity. Yes, life was good. I decided to venture out of my comfort zone and use a percolator, really it was our only way to brew coffee and I was going to figure it out, couldn't be that hard could it? Of course the day I venture out in the coffee world is the day it breaks, and no, I didn't break it, I know that is what all of you were thinking! Veggie eggs, and turkey bacon on the stove, Dave and Becky wake to a non-percolating coffee percolator. They check my work and realize, that no, it wasn't my fault, and it was going to be a cowboy coffee kind of a day. Point is, I was up early and not hung over from Foxy's, oh, and that life is STILL really good, even with a broken percolator.

Full of caffein, we sailed to St. John and booyed at Honeymoon Beach. We slathered on sunscreen, blew up the baby floaties, got ready to board the dingy when someone pulled a Geoff. Can you guess who? I don't need to write a thing more about honeymoon beach. Sometimes pictures do a better job.










From Honeymoon Beach, we went into St. John and walked around Cruz bay. St. John is my favorite of the Virgin Islands so far. The small shops, dive bars, outdoor restaurants seem like home. I'm pretty sure I could be happy living here for a long time. Iguanas passed in front of our feet as we browsed the local jewelry, dress and food tents. Geoff got suckered into trying some intense looking hot sauce, and by the size of the sweat drops running down his forehead, I was jumping at the bait to try it as well. In fact, we all tried it. This stuff was so hot, you could lick your finger hours later and still feel the heat on your tongue. We went in half and half for a small bottle being very sure that it would last years and let me just fast forward you a few days... the bottle was 1/4 gone. Yum!

Cruz bay is a magnet. I think this is the one place we went back to several times. We went back and bought bracelets, we went back and drank drinks, bought groceries, had dinner, drank more drinks. I love St. John. The heat however began to take it's toll on us. We could not be out very long before we needed to get in the water. Our boat, though lovely in all it's glory, is not equipped with air conditioning, a decision some of us would regret, and easily forget when back home. The locals said the weather was some of the hottest they have ever felt. This heat was not foreign to me, I have lived this before, but not without air. I always had a cool sanctuary to retreat to. On the boat there was no such thing. The coolest we were going to get was in the water, though cooler than the air, it was not by much and in the night there was nothing you could do. Sleep outside and risk being mosquito meals or inside and sleep in your own sweat. Day however, we were in the water, and it didn't take much walking around for us to get back to the boat and into the water despite all the great things Cruz Bay had to offer.

Later that night we actually attempted to dress up and even do our hair (failure on my part). We had dinner plans (Zozo's), and prom photos on the agenda. The next set of pictures are titled Prom2009...














The view from our table!!!


I know, we make out a lot, get over it! Dinner at Zozo's: the food was amazing, the view to die for and my prom date handsome!!!


Sunday:

Fathers day. I always feel odd on holidays, never know what to do, what present to buy, how to distribute the goods, how EXACTLY to say 'Happy Father's Day' so he knows I'm excited but in a casual sort of way. Yes, I suck at all holidays. I bought a card for Geoff before we left and found a few minutes to write a little love note for him. I also bought one for Dave from all of us so he didn't feel left out . Just like I always do, I did the wrong thing. I gave him DAVE'S card first to sign. He thought it was his, wondered why it wasn't lovey, kissy and asked him to sign it. He looked sad and lost.

"Oh, uhh, crap, and here is YOUR card lover! Happy Father's Day!!"

Did I redeem myself? Suck, totally suck at any and all holidays.




Father's Day was one of my favorite days. We chilled. We hang out in Linster Bay, St. John, snokeled and hiked the ruins.

Just when we were about to hike the ruins, can you guess who pulled a Geoff? The ruins was the home of the owner of the sugar mill on the island. He had an incredible view!!!











From here on out, if you see pictures with everyone in them but Geoff, I don't think I need to inform you where he was at. Yes, sailing is relaxing, almost too sedative, and addictive as my husband, right this very minute is looking online for catamarans for sale and if we get lucky, maybe these posts will come to you from the high seas.

Next Post: Wreck diving, bat spotting, and more rum drinking, mmmm!

6 comments:

Becky HIll said...

Love it, love it, love it....can we go back???

Maggie May said...

i think i pulled a Geoff this morning! we were cleaning out the garage with our inlaws and i did my part...then snuck into bed with my still sleeping daughter and passed out. gorgeous photos

MEGandJEFF said...

The trip just gets better & better! St Johns sounds like it was fabulous :) Loved the prom pics! Oh! I also loved your bikini..very, very cute & looks wonderful on you!

Matt said...

I pull Geoff's all the time.

Unknown said...

Listen to all of you, pulling a Geoff left and right. Didn't know it was so popular!

Becky- Yes, lets go back, RIGHT NOW ! Prime Bar on 16th St. has Dark and Stormys and gave us two free ones since we were so excited about it. Next date night spot!

Maggie-How cue you snuck back in bed with your daughter! Too bad my butt doesn't fit in Sawyer's crib!

Meg- I love you, where have you been all my life?! Excited to see your pics, and thanks on the bikini compliment, Geoff picked it out!!! Can you believe it???

Matt: Your silly.

I love using the word, silly.

Babe in Babeland said...

Hi! I'm a first-time commenter. I like your blog!! Sounds like your trip is amazing. The photos are GORGEOUS! And your son is adorable...

-Jonna