Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Different Type of Turkey!

A while back, i went out with my fellow Mile High Mamas for a Moms Night Out at the Warwick Hotel in Denver.

I'm a little behind but the Warwick was awesome, their servers were flawless and fast, the food fantastic and the wine was great. If you are Denver, you must check them out! Amber, the creator of Mile High Mamas, as usual, was a little cutie and planned a successful event... with PRIZES!

My prize?

THE (Are you ready?) TWINKIES COOKBOOK!

You didn't think that existed did you? Neither did I.

Being somewhat of a health freak, I'm not into Twinkies but my friend is... and she is having a birthday get together tonight? Can you guess what her present is? (Don't worry, she actually ASKED me for this!)

I couldn't give it up without sharing a recipe with you. Yeah, I'm kind.

In preparation for Thanksgiving, I give you:

Twinkling Turkey

1 package yellow corn muffin mix, prepared and baked according to package instructions
6 twinkies, halved lengthwise
1 (14-18lb) turkey
1 tart apple, peeled cored and diced
1/4 cup of honey


Remove the muffins from the oven and allow to cool on wire rack

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Scrape the creme filling out of the Twinkies with a small spoon and reserve in a small bowl.

Cut the twinkie pastry into cubes and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until lightly toasted. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Decrease the oven temperature to 325.

Rinse the turkey. Crumble the muffins into a bowl, add the apple and toasted Twinkies, and mix lightly. Loosely stuff the mixture into the turkey and truss the legs. Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack set in a roasting pan. jRoast the turkey for 12-15 minutes per pound until the thigh temperature reaches 175F to 180F and the juices run clear.

In a small bowl, combine the honey with the reserved creame filling and ix well. Brush the turkey with the honey mixture during the last 10-15 minutes of roasting time.

Remove the turkey from the oven and let stand for 20 minutes before carving.



Enjoy! Check at the Warwick, stop by Mile High Mamas and don't ever say I don't love you!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I had no idea!!

Tracie said...

A Twinkie cookbook? I haven't had a Twinkie in years. How different!

bodoba said...

umm, I'm not a fan of twinkies either. I think if I were to make a turkey I can safely say i would avoid twinkies in the recipe. thank you for sharing though, now I have an ice breaker for twinkie loving people.

Anonymous said...

wow... learn something new every day.