Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sugar and Spice, but not really that Nice

The server walked up to the three of us, reached one of the drinks over to me and said, "Let me take a WILD guess, the pomegranate martini is yours?"

Me- "Nope"

Geoff raises his hand the the server rotated his arm and placed the martini in front of my husband.

Server- "Okay, then THIS one is yours."

I turned it down before he set the dirty martini in front of me, Geoff's friend nods his head, claiming the drink as his.

Server- "Okay, so the beer is, uhhh, wow. Here you go."

Me- "Yup, it's just us BOYS hanging out!"

Cheers.

He laughed and said just when you can predict a drink order, you get it all wrong. Told a story about a prissy girl who ordered a Bud Light while the three guys she was with ordered girly drinks.

I said I would never do Bud Light while sipping my cold Shilling.

He laughed. I'm sure he considered me prissy, he looked a little shocked but the truth is, I'm way more boyish than people expect, and sometimes it's not so funny.

I've mentioned it before, but I have a VERY masculine form of communication. I do and yes, there are different styles and yes, there are even long tests you can take to see which side you tend to lean into (or stumble and fall in my case). Most likely you don't need a test. I'm not very sensitive, I say exactly how I feel and many times a little too harshly. I'm a fixer. I don't listen, I am thinking of ways to FIX your problem. I've realized there are very few times I listen, and those times usually circle around a tragic loss, something you had no control over or if you are giving me directions. Outside of tragedy and directions, I'm a fixer, and truth teller and people are not the biggest fans of those kind of people, nope, not at all.

My friend said it's hard to have a blog and not write about the latest fight her and her husband got into, or how pissed off she is at her neighbor, knowing her neighbor might read and said post might create a rift that can't be brought together again. Sometimes your emotions are a lot stronger and words a lot more hurtful than they should be for such events. Yes, it's hard to not get on here and complain about how pissed I am at someone or something, but the truth is, if my husband had a blog and he wrote how often I annoyed him, I'm sure his blog would be full of colorful post that hurt me badly. Sometimes I'm not a cup of tea.

For instance, my husband just wanted to vent, get a little support, get some loving words from his kind and thoughtful wife.

My response to his venting? "Work harder. It's not going to happen as you sit here complaining to me. Obviously you aren't doing enough to make it happen."

Ouch.

Ummm, yeah. That is really what I said. He walked out of the room and didn't talk to me for hours. I wasn't upset, sad, bummed, hurt, nothing. I went on like normal and as I thought about it, just hoped maybe my words made him upset enough to trigger an action button.

He didn't need a trigger, he needed someone to listen, to understand, to be a sounding board and found the wrong person.

I never said sorry but he did. How awesome is my husband?! How sucky is his wife?

My friend called me yesterday. Talked about why she is upset with her 'boyfriend'. Umm, this guys is NOT her boyfriend. Just about every time she asked me a question regarding his actions I said, "Well, it's because he doesn't care about you, AT ALL. Zero."

She was silent and I continued, "When was the last time he called you just to say hi or ask how you are doing?"

Silence.

"It's because he doesn't love you. He doesn't like you. He doesn't care for you, so just stop it already. It's ridiculous".

Silence.

See how good I am at this?! I realized at that point I needed to stop. "Okay, sorry, I know you don't like to talk about this with ME, I'm the WORST person to talk to. "

Sometimes common sense will hit me before my friend will but it's not often.

Last night, my manhood was okay, I sipped a beer, but only to not feel the pain of being a female (Hello, cramps?!?!) and realized how lucky I am to have friends and family that love me and deal with me, harsh or not, prissy or boyish and promised to never change, and if I do change, change just enough to be manageable, maybe a better listener, but for sure not enough to drink Bud Light.

14 comments:

The Peach Tart said...

That's funny about the drinks. I've had that happen before when I'm with a group of guys. I like to drink scotch and the waiter never guesses I'm the one that ordered it trying to give me white wine or some pink drink.

I can be a bit insensitive at times too, especially with Mr. Peach Tart. He usually puts me in my place.

I'm working on improving my listening skills.

I love your blog and your attitude. You don't have to change for anybody.

Furry Bottoms said...

Your honesty is refreshening! :)

Jenny said...

That's it, I want to go drinking with Geoff! We can bitch about our relationships, cry a little, sip our martinis... ;) I heart you Holly!!

Diva's Thoughts said...

See I am the complete oposite. I go out of my way to not hurt someones feelings and to comfort unless they really need a kick in the ass then I am all over it. I can be brutal if I have to.

Becky HIll said...

wouldn't change a thing about you girl!

SweetPeaSurry said...

LMAO ... No WONDER I'm not married yet!!! I tell it straight up to, no pussy footing petter petting around. Git er done already!!! And use lots and lots of exclaimation points to get it all across!!! (<--- see like that!)

Since men are usually more introspective, I'm sure that eventually they get over the hardline tactic and besides, they get the good love-makin' too so HAH!

Blessings on you and your awesome attitude.

Organic Meatbag said...

How funny...I just wrote a blog last week about how I am a guy that loves fruity, somewhat girly drinks, and I wondered how weird that was...looks like it goes for both sexes...hahaha!

Suzy said...

I tend to be like you. Only I've given up on the 'fixing' because I'm annoyed when people do it to me.

I do know one thing about men though, if you want to motivate them, stand behind them. Not giving them support makes them not succeed. My last bf was broke for years due to the market he was in. I spent most of the 7 years with him saying I knew he could do it. I never equivocated once.

Today he's a multimillionaire.

CallMeDorothy said...

you go girl! drink your beer! oh, and that comment you left about your roommate texting people about w/ cash cab questions is priceless! gotta love nights like that...

Unknown said...

Boys are REALLY liking the girly drinks lately! I think it's because it's pretty acceptable now. Pink is the newish beer really.

You guys rock my world you know you do!

G. B. Miller said...

You are lethal and brutal.

I bow down and smack my head on the concrete to show I am not worthy to be in the presence of such pure genius.

MEGandJEFF said...

hahahaha :) That's happened to me..& inside, I feel quite proud of it!

Honestly, I like some who cuts the shit. It might hurt my feelings..but it's so much better than beating around the bush. Just sayin!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it