Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Strebel Stimulus Package

It's February 1st, a day I was somewhat dreading.

We have a condo that needs a tenant ASAP!

Or we are going to be paying a lot of money a month for an empty (super amazing I might add) condo.

Being a landlord so far isn't fun but watching our money dwindle away is worse. I promised Geoff a new X-Box once we got our unit rented. Our current tenant asked to move out on Wednesday and of course after saying yes we get an email from a tenant that needs a move in date of NOW. Since now is not available, we might lose another potential tenant.

Other tenants are asking for lower rent. We are already going to pay $500 a month on top of what we are asking for rent. We would sell if... I mean, do I NEED to complete that sentence, really?

Ahh, the lovely real estate market.

Our place was on the market a year ago and though we had a lot of showings, we had no bites. We have an AMAZING unit. My husband updated every inch of this high-rise condo. Where there is are not hardwood floors, there is slate. A three-head granite shower, top of the line appliances, cabinets, thick granite counters just to name a few upgrades. The building is upscale, the location could not be better. I dare someone to tell me what is WRONG with our unit.

It's not the unit, or the building, or the location, it's the MARKET.

Hoping the market went up while renting our unit last year was a waste; prices in Denver are LOWER than last year.

LOWER.

Hold on, I need something to cushion that blow...

LOWER than last year.


Ahhhh!!!!

I have a few friends in Vegas watching the real estate markets decline. Their houses are worth maybe half the price they bought them for. Public employees for Nevada are actually living on lower incomes as pay cuts are in effect.

A friend of mine in Maui just wrote me to say her family is moving back to the states. Guess the Maui real estate market isn't doing so hot either.

I think this means one thing: we all need to take more vacations.

Maui says a portion of the declining market is due to a decline in tourism. This article says Las Vegas real estate market slump correlates with a drop in tourism and gaming.

Denver Post recently ran an article asking lawmakers NOT to cut the tourism budget. Seeing that a drop in tourism can break the states economy, it would be wise to keep funding tourism. Agree?


The Strebel Stimulus Package: Major incentives for taking vacations in America.

Ski vacation in Vail this winter?!?! Lets do it!

Sail vacation in the U.S. Virgin Islands?! For a tax break? Why not?!?!

Gamble and drink away in Vegas?!?! Money in the pocket!

Surf and tan away in Maui?!?! If you get money back for that vacation, how can you say no?


(Insert yourself napping in above picture.)


Let me make the comments on this post easy on you, just type "Holly for president."


Where would you vacation?!?!

7 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Oh, man, we listed our condo 3 weeks ago and have only had two showings at an open house. No calls! It's been very depressing.

I don't know if I could do the tenant thing. Plus, we need money for a downpayment.

wonderchris said...

Tropical, tropical, tropical!!!! I need to swim in some warm water STAT!

Oh yeah, and Holly for president!

stephanie said...

I can't imagine how stressful that must be. And I LOVE the stimulus package, so funny!

Candice said...

Hell, I'd vote for you over who's currently in office.

Especially if I got a tax break for going on vacay. ;)

Jenny DB said...

Holly for President.
But do I have to vacation in the US? :-) Cuz my pick is Costa Rica or Honduras! and somehow I don't think that's what you were going for...
Hope you find a tenant soon!

Ginger said...

HOLLY FOR PRESIDENT!!!

I live on Miami Beach so I think I'll take my tax break vacay and go to Maine for the summer. That would be so awesome!!!

Crystal Escobar said...

Holly for president!!!! :)
I sure like that idea, you're brilliant!!!!
We are going on vacation in a couple of weeks. Going on a cruise, wahoo!!! I don't think that counts though because it's not in the US. It still helps though right? The cruise ships are US owned right?