Monday, June 21, 2010

Nursing in Public?

I read an article on Mile High Mamas (Awesome site for you Colorado mamas.) this morning and think I was the only one that didn't agree with Amber (Still love her though!).

Basically a mom attending a Rockies game needed to breastfeed her child. She moved into a blocked off section to be discreet and was told she couldn't nurse there and should nurse in the bathrooms.

Ummm, the last place I will EVER nurse is the bathrooms. You eat in the bathroom.

Breastfeeding moms are scheduling a Nurse In to protest against the Rockies response.

People think it's over the top.

I think it might not even be enough.

Call me crazy but the way I see it, nursing was being discriminated against and if this was a comment against a race, the world would of FLIPPED!

I was talking to a friend a while back. She doesn't like her husband's best friend's wife. At all. Her husband didn't like that she didn't like this girl and the argument came down to him just wanting her to like everyone. I think society wants women to be accepting and loving of everyone, to not give our opinions if those opinions go against the general mass. We should be happy and love everyone and wear bonnets and churn butter. That's bull. If a man doesn't like someone, he isn't being a B word, but heaven forbid a women not get along with another woman or man or rules or anything else. Why don't we all shut our mouths, smile even though we want to scream, not vote, and bake cookies all day. Seriously.

Call me nuts but I think this women that was actually discriminated against standing up and saying something is a great thing! Almost everyone who has made a change, positive or negative, in history stood up, looked crazy but SAID SOMETHING!

I want to hear what you have to say though. Go here to read the article and let me know what you think.

11 comments:

Becky HIll said...

I am with you girl! what is so indecent about a nursing mother? It is beautiful!

Unknown said...

I don't have a problem with a woman nursing in public. But I do kind of have a problem with the fact that she had a child that was young enough to still be nursing at the game with her. I am constantly amazed at the places people bring there small babies to these days. Obviously some things just need to get done, and so you have to bring the baby. But a baseball game is not one of them. Get a baby sitter or stay home.

fallgirly said...

I've nursed in a restroom's booth. So there! And I totally agree, this was not handled well. Grrrr

MOMSICLE VIBE said...

These are my fave kind of posts. THANK YOU for giving your honest opinion and AMEN SISTER, I couldn't agree more with every word you said.

As for nursing in public. UMMMMM, I like to eat in public. I like to be in public. So does my kid, and we kind of go everywhere together (mostly). So, unless you want to go into hiding to cram your face with food, don't tell me or my child to. I can not stand people making judgment calls about this kind of thing.

If you are a nursing mother, good for you and how lucky is your child to get that delicious, comforting nutrition.

I do not care how old your baby/toddler/child is.

I do not care where you do it

I do not care if you are "discreet" or not.

Sometimes when I go out to a restaurant, I don't enjoy how loud the people at the next table are talking. Sometimes I can't stand that someone I'm with chews with their mouth open. That doesn't give me the right to request that they leave. I might not want to nurse my own child until she is 4, but why do I care if you do?

As for "child appropriate" settings, I don't see why a baseball game would not be considered child/baby friendly.

As a mother I am continually frustrated by how many places are inconvenient or inaccessible to a family. Why aren't there more (or ANY sometimes!) nursing stations in high traffic public areas??

I don't feel the need to flash a lot of breast, or keep mine exposed after my toddler has unlatched - but what is with the whole discretion thing anyways? God forbid a little breast or nipple *gasp* be revealed in the process of feeding a hungry baby??? What is so bad about a slice of boob when breastfeeding, when places like Hooters are in business? It seems that if revealing your breasts isn't for the purpose of pleasing or attracting a man then it is obscene.

Anyways - can you tell I feel strongly about this? I fed my FIFTEEN MONTH OLD CHILD IN THE MIDDLE OF A RESTAURANT lately because she was having a very difficult day. I made some people uncomfortable. Was that my intention? No. Do I care? HELLS NO!

Unknown said...

Momsicle Vibe: Yes, yes yes!!!

MEGandJEFF said...

I'm w/ Momscicle Vibe on this one!! It seems our society has a problem w/ viewing breasts as anything other than a sex object..if I flashed my awesomely huge boobs in public WITHOUT my baby attached, not many people would complain! But add a baby to the scenario & everyone's in uproar, & it's disgusting!

ALSO, my baby goes where I go! He is too young & eating too frequently still to leave him w/ a babysitter. Plus, I just enjoy his company :) So, am I supposed to stay home & spiral into a crazed depression because our society can't be more family friendly? HELL TO THE NO! I will go to my coffee shops, restaurants, parks & malls & I will happily feed my child wherever the hell I want & need to! Get over it! I'm 'discreet'..& even if I weren't, oh well! Go ahead & make a snarky comment in my direction, 'cause I have, and will, call you on it, loud & clear!

Juliana said...

OMG it's a boob. Run for your life.

Seriously...we should voice our opinions whenever we damn well feel like it.

Jules AF said...

As long as I can't see boob, I see nothing wrong with it. I love my boobs. I think boobs are awesome. I just don't need to see other people's boobs. I think you have the right to nurse wherever you want, and almost all women are extremely discreet. I don't think women who aren't nursing should show tons of their boobs, and I don't think nursing should change that fact.

Normally, I don't state my opinion on things, and we might not agree, but that's okay.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I breastfed in the bathroom because I felt comfortable with it. I'd never insist that other breastfeeding moms do the same though. It doesn't bother me when someone breastfeeds their kid in public.

Stephanie said...

I can not believe nursing in public is such a big deal! If mmen did the nursing there wouldn't even be a conversation about it.

SweetPeaSurry said...

I think that society in general has been so indoctrinated that women's bodies are something to be ashamed of ... either being a woman with a body, or seeing a woman's body. I really think that's where this BF'ing stigma comes from. I agree with you, BF'ing is the most natural thing in the world and it should be respected. It should be more respected and revered than BLOODY BASEBALL ... that's foh shoh!

blessings girl ... and get your baby food making boob on!