Thursday, June 24, 2010

Dear Charlotte: One Month




Charlotte: A month ago I was in labor, exactly one month ago. Just like I've said a million times, man how time flies. I have to say, I totally understand how people died in childbirth back in the day because if I was in labor any longer with you, I would have killed someone. You came so fast and furious and the second you were out I was so in love. I didn't expect to fall as hard for you as I did. I thought I would have to get to know you a little bit first, I mean, I was squeezing in more love in this heart of mine that is sooo filled from loving your daddy and Sawyer. You showed up, looked in my eyes and it was all over. The saying that girls can get their daddies to do anything they want might not be true in our case, I think I'm going to be the sucker. The day after you were born I stared at you, forever. I couldn't stop. There wasn't a thing more beautiful than your scrunched up little face and since then I find myself staring out you in amazement then bringing you to Geoff saying, "Look at her, seriously, she is beautiful!"

You for sure are more than I expected. You are up more than I expected, you cry more than I expected, you want to be held more than I expected, you spit up more than I expected, you eat more than I expected and I am enamored with you...more than I expected.

You came home with all this newborn weirdness I wasn't used to. No offense but your brother really was the perfect little baby with no bumps in the road. NOT YOU. RIght off the bat you had a clogged tear duct, I was sure you had reflux, you got strange newborn rashes, you bellybutton thing fell off too soon then your belly button oozed out gook for too long after. You would eat too much and then be gagging forever. It scared the crap out of me. You spit up and threw up more than I've seen. Sawyer maybe spit up 8 times in his whole life but you had us on our toes from the beginning. I predicted you would be a little more of a hell raiser than your brother and those predictions are SO right on, well, so far at least. However at your doctors appointment everything was confirmed normal and healthy newborn issues and here you are sleeping (finally) as perfectly as can be, over the bellybutton goo, rashes and spit up. You still have eye goo and Daddy says no boys will date you with bugers in your eye so we are hoping that clears up before your 20 because I'm not letting you date anyone before then. Got it SISTER?

Your super dark hair and light blue eyes amaze us. I think you look like Geoff's mom, your grandma or as Sawyer likes to call her, "Boppa". You have gained weight faster than I expected which makes me think that the boys in the family can eat whatever they want and not gain an ounce while us girls breath in oxygen and gain five pounds. Damn those boys! This is why we will forever peg them with cooties.

People love you. I never had a baby shower with you. I mean, I had one with Sawyer and it seems no one really cares about baby two but the second you were born people showered you with gifts. See, you already won them over with your adorableness. Now go use your cute ways to get mommy and daddy a sail boat!

If you haven't noticed already, you have a cute boy hovering over you at all times. He's your brother and MAN does he love you. Please excuse all the pokes to the face and eyes or the jamming of pacifier in your mouth. He can't get enough of you, wants to hold you constantly, loves pointing out your eyes to everyone we meet (they are beautiful) and trying to take care of you. He shares his sippy cup when I'm not looking and is always trying to pick you up. He has me place you next to him while he is laying down so you two can cuddle and tries really hard to make you smile. I always thought it would be the coolest thing to have a big brother and know that while you guys will fight, hope that you grow up close and appreciate each other. If loving him for the sake of him just being your brother isn't a good enough excuse, just think of all the cute friends he'll have down the line!


I love you, I love dressing you, I love kissing your cheek, I love seeing you and your brother together, I love shopping for you, I love staring at you and I love being your mom more than anything. Happy one month Charlotte, my perfect baby girl!!!


















P.S. I just got her first smile! On her one month birthday! YES!

10 comments:

Aurora Sisneros said...

Aw, girl, I got a tear in my eye from that one!!!

I LOVE that you are so happy. Happy moments can seem so far and few between sometimes, given that damn LIFE can get in the way. Sounds like you have slowed down enough during the sunrise of her little life to enjoy it, and THAT makes me happy.

That and the adorableness with which you dress her. She's dope already!

Juliana said...

I love our letters to our lil ones. This was so sweet Holly. I am trying to figure out when we can come up and see you! I got C's other gift in the mail today!

Anonymous said...

aaawwww she is too cute! and so are you for writing this! I love the picture of her and sawyer!

jessikahsd said...

What a sweet, sincere letter! She is just precious!

Maggie May said...

you are so sweet, that love is so sweet, and look at her!

MEGandJEFF said...

Dang it, Holly! She's a freakin' doll!! On behalf of my son, I'd like to ask her out on a date, when she's 20 :)

She & Aiden sound terribly similar..high maintenance little stinker bugs! But the best little stinkers in the world, I maintain!

This is a super sweet letter..you are just such a great mom!

G. B. Miller said...

Fantastic tribute to Charlotte, as well as great pics.

Me thinks that you'll have a fashion plate on your hands when she gets older.

Jenny said...

Love love love your letters Holly!! Make sure you keep these so you can re-read how adorably sweet Charlotte and Sawyer are together... one day you'll need the reminder.

I can't get over that striped onesie, I haven't found it in your size yet but I'll keep looking ;)

And don't you dare say no one cared enough for baby #2 to throw you a shower! None of us could track you down with all the packing, moving, sewing, painting, decorating, and mouse catching you were doing over the past 9 months!! Lucky for you guys you finished the house drama in time to focus on Charlotte's high maintenance demands. Funny how that works out.

SweetPeaSurry said...

WTG Mom ... what a beautiful baby girl!!! Such cutealicious clothes too. He he! I just want to eat her right up with a spoon. But I won't because of the eye boogies and she might shoot cooties at me too! LOL

brightest blessings sweetie!

MOMSICLE VIBE said...

She is SO cute. I love her. My Soleil was so similar to her in that she was a firecracker from the beginning tossing every little challenge our way that she could. She was more EVERYTHING than I expected too. And with that, more love than I could ever have imagined. Aren't we the luckiest?