Monday, May 4, 2009

The Puff Cookie Ruined my Life.

"I'm never making cookies again! Never ever! Ever."

Yes, I'm on facebook and that was my recent status update. I'm not a status updater kind of person, but I had it. I had it and I wanted the world to know. Cookies and I are broken up for good and there is nothing they can do to win me back in their life.

Since the story is a little too long for a status update and you all want an explanation, here is where the explanation will go.

Yes, people, I can't bake cookies, which pretty much means I suck at life. .

It all started I since I was old enough to be trusted with an oven. My parents let me do my own cooking thing and decided I was all about baking cookies. I found a recipe and went to town. Mind you, I don't come from the most crafty, chef like family. No, oh no, we did not cook well, we did not bake well, we did not craft well, or at all. I was blazing my own cookie trail and was proud of it. Yup, follow me to chocolate chip heaven, it will be a yummy trip... or so I thought.

The fist cookies I made puffed up an incredible amount leading the the name "Puff Cookies." Forgive me if I've mentioned them before, but these Puff Cookies are famous. Ask any of my family members and they will look back, errr, fondly? Despite the cake like consistency, and large sphere like shape, I thought these cookies were about the best I've ever had. My family thought so too. Every time I baked Puff Cookies ,they would bag several up and give them out to the friends. "They are sooo good, we are going to give some to Linda's family, and Marissa's and..." Being the kind and thoughtful person I am, I knew my family would want a lasting supply of cookies as well, so I baked more. I baked and baked and baked, Puff Cookie after Puff Cookie. We were in a land of Puff Cookies and everyone just loved them sooo much, they had to give a bunch to so and so, and the bag lady at the grocery store and church group and, well, the list went on.

Somehow I lost that recipe. I would think back to the child baker in me and wonder how I can have another chance at pleasing the cookie palate with my famous Puff Cookies. I guess I never mentioned it to anyone until a phone conversation with my step mom.

Step Mom- "Oh MAN, remember those HORRIBLE cookies you used to make when you were little?! Puff Cookies?! HAHA, those were the WORST! Remember we would put them in bags, tell you we were giving them to friends JUST to get them OUT of the house?!?! Oh, that was funny!"

Me- Silently wiping tear. "Huh?"

So, forgive me if the thought of baking cookies makes me sweat a little.

But, how old am I? I can bake some freakin' cookies. I know I can! How hard can it be?

There were the the "Wheat Cookies", that tasted like packed dirt with a chocolate chip thrown in every so often. This is the batch of cookies my husband would only consume while drunk.

There were several batches of the "Paper Cookies". These cookies were the complete opposite of the Puff Cookie. Flat, stuck to the pan, all the dough ran together. I had a hard time prying these off the sheet.

Speaking of prying, there were the "Hulk Cookies" that were sooo hard and soooo STUCK, cookies flew into the other room by the time the spatula got between cookie and baking sheet. That was a workout.

Failure after failure, my cookie confidence is something not to be bragged about and my cookie cravings go un-fulfilled. I have a few recipes from friends who swear they are failure proof. I haven't tried them yet and it may take me a while to build my confidence enough to even pull out the chocolate chips or the recipes. Why?

"It's the tin foil or pan that is bad, you have to use parchment paper!" Another told me who basks in her cookie glory.

Yesterday I bought some already made cookie dough. I figure I'm sooo bad at cookies, I have to treat my baking skills like one would treat an unknown allergy. Taking away possible culprits and leaving others until one pinpoints the enemy. I will take away my version of the recipe. I don't want to think about Butter versus Crisco, versus oil versus ALL THAT STUFF I CAN'T HANDLE! To melt or let soften at room temperature? To stir or blend? There is too much to think about! I decided to focus on the pan and oven. Simple yes?

I open the cookie dough and it smell great. I'm thinking about the parchment paper. Got to use parchment paper she said. We don't have parchment but we have wax paper. They look the same so my mind convinces me they must be pretty much the same.

Wax paper and parchment paper are VERY different.

I smoked out the house and have wax cookies. Thank God our smoke alarm is not sensitive.

I'm done baking cookies. I'm absolutely done. We are broken up and I'm never looking back!

7 comments:

Becky HIll said...

Don't throw in the towel just yet!

fallgirly said...

Cookies are my favorite!! Don't give up hope now! Two things: 1) Do yourself a favor and go to Bed, Bath & Beyond and buy yourself a baking mat. It's this silicone mat that you put on top of the cookie sheet and then the bottoms never get burned, also good for anything else you bake on a cookie sheet. 2) Follow the recipe on the back of the Nestle Morsel yellow bag. People love my cookies and that's all I use. SO EASY. This wax paper was a fluke.

Unknown said...

poor holly!
i agree with fallgirly! a "sil-pat" is the best. they also have these cookie scoopers that have a silicone back so you make them all the same size (that cooks them more evenly) and you just press the back of the scooper to let it out! you can't go wrong!
also- i like to let my butter warm on top of the oven when it's warming -just rotate it every minute or so and take it off when all 4 sides are soft!

Unknown said...

oh, haha- i didn't realize that was autumn!

MomInProgress said...

Hi Holly! It's been too long! Are you going to be at the Mom's Night Out next week? If so, I'll see you then.

As for cookies, altitude is not your friend. The Denver Post just had an article about cookie bars last week I think, and I'm a believer. SOOOO much better and half the work. Who really loves scooping and scraping and starting all over again, tray after tray?!?! Don't give up on the delicious goodness of cookies, just make your life easier and pop that sweet dough into a pan and call it a cookie!

Unknown said...

Becky: towel is dangling pretty close to the ground!

Autumn: Love cookies. Love them!! Just not mine. I might need to try your special cookie sheet, then again, I also need to try some magic because I'm that bad!

Sara- Whoa, you are confusing me even more, rotating butter?! Sil-pat huh?

Can you guys all just come over and do it for, uhhh, I mean help me?

Jenna- I think I made some of those cookie bars on accident. haha. I'm planning on a mamma's night out, that is for sure! PS- Totally forgot about the altitude. I bet at sea level, I'm amazing!

Love you guys!

Audrey W. said...

We need to have a cookie making date at my place soon. We'll work on it - you'll get it. Practice makes perfect!