Monday, August 30, 2010

A Mouse Update

I totally freaked you guys all out with the mouse story, didn't I? Well, yeah, they totally gross me out too. I mean, I FREAK out if I see one and actually seeing them is pretty rare.

Geoff deals with all things critter. I grew up volunteering for the fire department, I was an EMT in L.A. for crying out loud, I CAN SEE GROSS THINGS! I can!

That was until I saw my first mouse.

I had no idea I was so prissy. I am really freakin' prissy!

Mice are gross. I keep trying to think about Cinderella and how the cute mice were her friends but how nasty is that: a mouse as your friend?!

Sorry Cindy.

So, there was that first time I saw one. Hi freak out, nice to meet you.

And then there was last week.

Geoff got a new log splitter and I'm pretty sure he cut enough logs for the entire country to use. Maybe we should set up shop and sell fire wood in front of Whole Foods. They are trying to sell fire wood made out of Coffee Beans. Have you seen this? Pricey!

Geoff was on a log cutting extravaganza right outside the basement french doors with both doors WIDE OPEN, all day for several days. The french doors are just to the left of this ginormous wood pile. Mice LOVE wood piles. I think it makes their heart smile and our wood pile is making their heart so freakin' joyous because it's HUGE. Geoff thinks he is like Fort Knox security standing at the door and no mice can get past him but he also forgets all the breaks he takes to go upstairs and get a new beer. Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure that was like the red carpet invitation for mice to come live inside where it doesn't rain or have birds flying around trying to swoop them up.

(Note to self: set mouse eating birds loose in house.)

I know they got in the house that way because the next day is when a mouse was spotted.

I heard him first: the mouse squeak.

After hushing Sawyer five million times so I could be SURE it sounded like a mouse and giving myself a huge pep talk about how awesome I am, I finally build the courage to look down the stairs into the basement and there it was.

It kinda looked like a leaf.

I grab my iphone and carefully tip-toe downstairs.

I look over every stair making sure no fanged mouse makes a surprise attack on me, turn the corner and see it.

Really, it was just a leaf.

I take a breath of relief and then the leaf moves.

I run upstairs screaming.

Squeak. Squeak.

Pep talk again. Down the stairs again and it peeks out from under the leaf that probably blew in while Geoff was cutting his one zillionth log: a little bitty one inchish baby mouse. I take a picture on my iphone and send it to Geoff with attached message, "I'm kicking your butt."

And I knew it. I freaking KNEW it, we are going to be eaten alive by mice and this was proof, the second mouse we spotted since living here. I had to get rid of it. It saw me and froze. I think the normal size mouse would have darted off to some secret location but this guy was freaking out because he knew I saw him so I did what any other rational mouse seeing person would do.

I roared.

I roared at it like I was Tyrannosaurus Rex.

I'm not sure where this came from but it was working, the thing wasn't moving and I was getting all cocky and even put my arms out in front of me like a dinosaur and stomped my feat and roared louder.

it was all pre-historic up in my basement.

My two year old that doesn't stop making noise unless he is sleeping was even caught off guard because it was silent upstairs as I roared and stomped.

The thing played dead.

I ran upstairs and found an old to-go coffee mug thing I could trap him with and then throw away after to use as my mouse catching device. By the time I went back downstairs the little guy tried to escape, I found him and roared again.

No joke, this dino act was working, he froze, I stomped my feet, he stayed frozen so I ran over and threw a cup over him.

Can I tell you how hard and fast my heart was beating? I still thought he might surprise me and jump up and claw my eyes out before I could get the cup on him.

All hail me because I totally caught a mouse in a cup. I thought about not doing anything before catching him until Geoff came home but I couldn't risk the mouse getting away. Hell no is that thing going to be taking up a room and ordering breakfast in bed. Hell to the no.

So I caught him.

You know what Geoff said? "Ummm, why didn't you put him outside?"

He was suppose to be proud of me, hugs and kisses and maybe a special mouse catching prize like a new pony but he was mad I didn't put the thing outside. He was faced with a mouse under a cup under some somewhat heavy tool so the mouse couldn't tip the cup over and escape. He even said, "We moved to the middle of the mountains on property, what did you think you would find?"

Gold, duh.

So, I'm leaving this open for you to tell me how awesome I am, choose your words carefully, I have a mean roar.

18 comments:

Diva's Thoughts said...

You are so braver then me! I would have totally ran and screamed and never set foot in the basement EVER again!

Unknown said...

You are definitely better than I would have been! Good for you and great job capturing it!! I would not have blamed you at all! for leaving it under the cup. You're fabulous!
I was laughing hysterically thinking about roaring at a mouse like a dinasaur =)

Anonymous said...

ummm i would have ran and hid. I do not go near them! Gross. Annnnnd you even got close enough to catch it.

...

Barf.

Unknown said...

ugh, i hate mice soooo much

we had some in our basement and we tried to kill them with the ortho traps but they dang things never worked, they only injured the mice.

good thing my bf was around to help finish the job lol

jessikahsd said...

I am very proud of you. I am too scared to even go near spiders - I just throw cups over them and wait for my husband to come home and pick them up, so I completely understand your logic - so I don't think I would ever be brave enough to get that close to a mouse! Go you!

Ginger said...

Girl, you totally rock! That's an awesome story and a great way to catch a mouse. Now, if I happen to see one...do you make house calls? lol!

Jules AF said...

Finding mice is SO TRAUMATIZING!!!

Sarah said...

You are freaking awesomer than awesomesauce! No way could I put a mouse under a cup! I scream and run when I see a little bitty bug. lol

It was cracking me up to think of you scaring the mouse by acting like a dinosaur though!

Aurora Sisneros said...

You are so badass you need an acronym to put on your business cards: SLAMR!!! This of course stands for "Super Legit At Mouse Roaring". Duh.

Holly the Slamr Strebel. Damn that sounds fine!!

Becky HIll said...

Girl, you are freaking hilarious!

heisschic said...

i just- quite literally- got chills thinking about doing what you just did. pass. no thanks. nuh uh. not gonna happen.


there was a sliiight mouse problem for a stint of a month there when i was in high school. there were 2 mice. they are both now deceased. one was found in the washing machine- stretched out like supa-man along the wall. laundry was squeaky clean that day. badumchhhh. the other made a mad dash for the basement across the (tiled) living area--- unaware that my dad was standing right there. my dad has great reflexes and squashed that thing with his booted foot and a mighty "humf!" my mother and i both gagged and left the room for him to clean up the freshly departed.

JoeinVegas said...

You are awesome. Please don't roar at me.

Nicole said...

"Gold, duh" That is hilarious! Love your blog!

Brandy@YDK said...

hahhaha I love your dinosaur roar.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

as I scroll down to leave a comment, I see those precious pictures and I wonder... how could such a sweet face have such a roar! :)
I don't like mice either, but not so sure I could be mean to a "baby" mouse!
you go girl.

Melanie said...

That's awesome! Quick thinking on the dino roar. LoL! What we do to get rid of unwanted creatures! :)

Jenny DB said...

Good job on catching the mouse!!! :-) so what did you do with the little cutey (difference of opinion here haha)

Unknown said...

You are definitely brave! And a really funny storyteller. I can’t stand mice. That’s why I got the kind of trap that seals them so I don’t have to see the dead mouse, or god forbid, touch the thing. Plus, it seals in any harmful parasites, making it safe for the family. You should consider getting one since these critters can carry all sorts of nasty things with them. http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/m265#desc