Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Operation Selfish

My friend Melissa wrote me asking if it was cool if she designed a blog head thingy.

I mentioned her before, she DESIGNED all the decorations for the Lemonade Stand Party. And I swear every time she emails me I find out some incredible talent so I'm going to get her to quit her job and do the stuff that she LOVES doing and get paid for it.

So, seriously, if you want the most awesome-est birthday banners, invites, menus EVER, get in touch with her. (She has no idea that I'm writing this and forcing her into business so DON'T tell her I sent you! K?)

But that isn't why I'm writing, I'm writing because I was looking for a picture of me and the kids for the banner and guess what?

That picture doesn't exist. Seriously. Okay, I think I have TWO, one of which I took on my mac and got deleted when my hard drive crashed and the other I took OF MYSELF with my iphone when Charlotte was two days old... and lets face it, I'm not pretty after labor.

I have a BAZILLION of Geoff and the kids so now I'm getting sad and ask him to take pictures of me sometimes too because I'm their mom and if someone digs up our city in a bunch of years and finds pictures, I want MY FACE to be connected with MY KIDS. And that crap happens you know, we dig up cities and look at faces carved in stone and, well, put two and two together. So can't a mom have a picture with her kids? So he got all defensive and says he has to be TOLD to take a picture where I want him to just think we look cute and take our damn picture.

Soooo, I think I'm going to try to take a picture of my own freakin' self every day for a week. I was going to say a month but we all know I'm not that motivated right? My goal is to have ONE decent picture of ME and my two babies before they are eighteen.

Because we all know I'm not getting any cuter here.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

P.S. Melissa found the middle picture in an old FB folder! How awesome is she?!?!

stephanie said...

it's like that in our house too... tons of pictures of the hubs and kids and the only ones of me and the girls are self-portraits taken with my iPhone. however it is not his fault, he takes tons and I delete them because I look gross/fat/not cute so it's my fault. ha!

Jenny said...

Didn't I warn you of this very thing? Whenever I give "new mom" advice to anyone, it has nothing to do with babies, nursing, sleeping, etc. I tell them to take TONS of pictures with their kiddos and NOT to be the photographer!! :) Good for you Holly, turn that camera around. Your kids will love you for it one day. (I have barely any pics with me and the kids when they're little, it's so sad)

Jenny said...

Oh and P.S. Absolutely adorable webpage!! :)

Shannon said...

i try to explain the importance of my husband learning how to use the camera and to actually pick it up and use it when me and the kids are having a great photo worthy moment, but he has yet to catch on. Therefore, most of the pics of me and the kids are professional ( find a amazing photographer and become best friends, it really helps) or the traditional stretch your arm out as far as you can and try to get four faces in the frame.

NICKI said...

I've been off the blog-grid for a bit, so I'm guessing the awesome one in your banner wasn't there when you first wrote this. So, congrats! Iy looks great!

Anita said...

I love your banner. I'll have to keep Melissa girl in mind when I take time to do something with mine. Some day I will! I just have to keep saying that.

I totally relate to the picture thing. I love taking picures because I know that what is captured in a photo will never be exactly repeated. And it's so much fun to look at them years after.

I'm always taking candid shots of my family. I have to ASK them to take pictures of me, and I have to make myself appear natural.

When on of my kids was born, my husband took picures of the baby in my lap. My mid body was showing up to my neck, and my head was not in the shot...cut off!

Even after pregancy and giving birth, I couldn't get in a photo unless I asked. lol

I'll get off the soap box now. You'll just have to "kindly" remind husband to take your picture.

The Skinny Mom said...

I want a cool banner like that! I am soooo not technologically gifted.